WATCH: Trump claims 'coup' against him led by Mueller, 'I didn't need a gun' to defeat 'attempted overthrow'

I’m not denying that. It’s an on-going issue. That’s not to say that “moar gunz” is a better alternative.

Most of us who live under liberal-democratic governments expect that anyhow, as long as there’s accountability in place (which, again, is often missing when it comes to police and minority communities):

You’re presenting a scenario where that’s already effectively happened – under those circumstances it’s better for liberals and progressives to work together in “blue” cities throughout the nation. In most states, the cities have the demographic clout and won’t countenance white nationalism and fascism.

At this point, we’re better off reforming the Electoral College, the Senate, and strengthening voting rights.

There are several practical problems with that, but they all boil down to deliberately creating at least one discriminatory ethnostate in North America, likely setting the stage for a civil war. For someone so concerned about people being hurt, you’re blithely ignoring the consequences of your proposed solution.

Your solution for your “things get bloody” scenario seems to boil down to: appease the white supremacists by giving them their own territory where they can live according to their twisted cultural values and then arm ourselves against them. I doubt you’ll find many liberals or progressives (including most antifa) who’d think that’s a particularly productive or practical response to an upsurge in fascist violence in the U.S.

I’m going to leave it there.

12 Likes

Exactly. Of course, it’s other people who are going to have to suffer, so nbd, amirite?

10 Likes

Well come on now, if others would just get some sense and gun up too then they’d be just fine.

11 Likes

I’m just sitting here gobsmacked by someone talking about PoC as if we somehow aren’t actual individuals with our own agency, even if we do live in an unjust society which was never designed to benefit us. We’re just the window dressing, ‘dead-hookers’ in this dystopian fantasy that’s being envisioned.

14 Likes

@MikeTheBard

This may help:

image https://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/witmerpublicsafety/W-WJFA1800_alt1?New%20Category%20Image

4 Likes

Maybe it’s just assumed they’re “smart enough” to already be loaded up with gats and AKs and such “gangsta shit”?

(Nah, more likely just completely left out of the picture by someone with a different kind of Hollywood-fed imagination.)

6 Likes

This is literally attached to a story where the president of the United States is accusing his rivals of staging a coup. The same president who urged supporters to target journalists and said he’d only accept the results of an election that he won. In an economy that every historical precedent shows leading to a collapse, revolution, or civil war. While the biosphere of the planet we live on has around a decade before it’s functionally beyond saving.

And the general response is “move to a big city, vote blue, and trust the police”.

You guys have way more fucking faith than I do. I honestly don’t see us making it out of this.

2 Likes

Trump’s real protection against a coup is the same piece of paper that he keeps wiping his butt on.

get

7 Likes

What times are these, that such a thing as a “hate map” is a real and researched item that one can look up on the web?

In 2018, we tracked 1,020 hate groups across the U.S.
– Southern Poverty Law Center

Yeeesh.

I suppose there must be, somewhere, a love map (or tolerance map, or kindness map, or something) created and researched solidly by… some group good at facts and homework and graphics.

Cut and run?
Stay and resist?

I hear you.

Usually having a big freakin’ pile of money helps a lot.

I’m with you. Tied down with looking after an elderly parent, dealing with the mad scramble to earn and find some money for my son’s college tuition, and the very real possibility of [one of my four] jobs going away in < 2 years.

Working the problem.
Trying to find allies in all times and all places.

Yeah that’s the bitterest pill, right there. It’s like the GOP’ers don’t breathe air, drink water, rely on basic power grids not melting, or being under floodwater, etc.

I work “in the environmental field” for one job and it is this… just… this. By the time our firm gets the call, things have usually gone very very wrong. Justice sought in Texas state, county courts is seldom pro-environment, to say the least.

9 Likes

One suggestion on that point: get him to apply to colleges in Europe. To the best of my knowledge, they teach many classes or entire majors in English, tuition is mostly covered by the government, and he would get a chance to interact with some new cultures.

Do your homework, though. I’m fairly certain that this is not true for the UK, and possibly other areas.

7 Likes

I don’t know if many here ever read the original Black Panther Newspaper “The Black Panther” but what’s happening know in America is almost exactly what they predicted would happen back in the late 1960’s.

Internment camps for people of color check
Armed groups of White Supremacists check
White Supremacists infiltrating Law Enforcement check
Federal Government not giving a fuck check
Even decreased funding for schools check

All in all they were way ahead of their times. I wish I had saved those things.

9 Likes

Thank you for this.

I had floated the idea with our fam of college abroad in some civilized country1, with an eye on keeping our education costs low[ish]. My proposal was… heard without much enthusiasm, for now.

You are correct that unfortunately, uni in the UK is (as far as I can tell) no longer funded by its government (and therefore by its citizens). @L0ki was kind enough to update me.

One of the many things I am grateful for on this bbs is the person-on-the-ground posts like these: people reporting in with reality-based answers to sincere queries.

I am also grateful that the posters on this bbs are a wide-ranging bunch in life-experiences, hobbies and avocations, as well as being intelligent people who both appreciate and can engage in logical arguments.

You folks are the most wonderful thing about bOINGbOING.

boing

1. Here’s one example of what college education debt can look like in an uncivilized country:
10 Likes

And you have a lot of faith that everyone in America running around with guns will turn out peachy.

When I was in college I had a lot of liberal friends getting into guns. I’m not sure why. Maybe because it was counter to what was expected of them and they didn’t want to be pigeon holed. I was starting to be seduced into the idea. Everyone definitely had some sort of drive to convert everyone around them and there is some power in the herd mentality.

Then Reservoir Dogs came out. When I finished watching that movie, I was done with any romantic idea that guns increase control of a situation. Guns are chaos incarnate. And the more guns you add to a situation the more shit of an out come you will get.

Go look at the numbers for collateral damage and civilian deaths when highly trained US troops are in combat situations. Now arm every liberal and conservative American and watch us all accidentally slaughter the people we love.

ETA: I think a lot of your concerns about how things are and could go are valid. I just don’t see more guns as solving the too many guns problem.

9 Likes

Didn’t need a gun, just a rod, Rod Rosenstein – at the end of the day, just a another GOP traitor to the nation.

1 Like

Or … he thinks it is a coo. Like the sort of sound a (stool) pigeon makes.

Plus, responding to @MikeTheBard, No. Just no. Think India and Pakistan if you want to know how that sort of partition works out in the end.

4 Likes

Yeeeah… speaking about that:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/29/politics/rod-rosenstein/index.html

5 Likes

Why not? His job of pretending to protect democracy while giving time for the criminal syndicate to cement control is done.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.