Trump threatens to use military to stop protests for #georgefloyd #blacklivesmatter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/01/trump-threatens-to-use-militar.html

6 Likes

This is more or less the exact scenario that second amendment absolutists have long claimed they required military-style weaponry to fight back against.

Not holding my breath for the NRA crowd to get anti-police-brutality protestors’ backs here.

58 Likes

General strike.

Let old conservatives struggle and whine for weeks. They treated gens y & z (the true work horse of this country) like shit for many years, it’s time to pay back them back for it.

36 Likes

“We need 'em in case we don’t like the Gubmint. This one’s fine.”

giphy-8

21 Likes

“Annie go get your gun,” put your money where your muthafuckin’ mouth is.

/s

Extra large sarcasm signifier, for those who might intentionally misunderstand my comment as an “incitement to violence.”

0_o

That’s just my way of saying, most of the most vocal 2A extremists aren’t gonna do a damn thing if the military comes for them, and those few that do finally get to play out their fantasy are going to find themselves outmatched.

I agree; it’s past time.

27 Likes

25 Likes

Of course, @xeni buried the lede here a bit, because immediately after Trump said:

I am mobilizing all available federal resources, civilian and military, to stop the rioting and looting, to end the destruction and arson.

he said:

And to protect the rights of law-abiding Americans, including your Second Amendment rights.

In case you’ve just had too much lately, I’ll be explicit: He is giving the armed right-wingers carte blanche to fire on protesters.

41 Likes
16 Likes

That applies to everyone, though; like the people just standing on their own porches watching events unfold when TPTB fired on them.

Basically, he just gave everyone with access to a firearm the go-ahead to go all ‘Wild Wild West.’

Fuck.

27 Likes

Someone pointed out that the way Impeached Trump stands and walks makes him look like a centaur with an invisible back half. I can’t un-see it.

23 Likes
30 Likes

Well, this guy and his party are the stress test for your constitution. Do you have one, or has it all just been a funny dream?

10 Likes

Remember, Secret Service, US Park Police, and the DC National Guard are federal agents, and are not under the control of the Mayor of DC, Mayor Bowser. DC is still has Federal oversight, and the President can send in military troops anytime they choose.

6 Likes

Into DC. Theoretically speaking, he cannot deploy any federal troops inside the US except for the national guard. Seems some people back in the day had this fear of the president forcing things.

I say “theoretically” because laws only work if they are enforced. There’s some seriously recursive irony in that statement. Moscow Mitch won’t lift a finger to enforce anything that doesn’t serve his end goal of destroying this country.

17 Likes

You aren’t at the beginning of Niemoller’s poem. You’re approaching its end.

26 Likes

But, but, states’ rights!

15 Likes

Well holy crap, this oddly makes sense to him.

Let’s see. In The Dark Knight Rises, Bane uses an armed force to takeover a city and override local authority while also separating it from the rest of the US. This dude is completely lacking in originality. Does he have a single original thought?

8 Likes

It really hasn’t been that funny, if we’re being honest.

15 Likes

Mr. Gaetz, are you accusing Indiana Jones of being a terrorist?

Indiana Jones

19 Likes

No, we’re not; because many of us HAVE been speaking up this whole fucking time. Niemöller wasn’t just a coward; he supported Hitler’s regime at first… until eventually “they came for him too.”

Many of us are out there in the streets, risking their bodies and lives, speaking up… right now.

I don’t know how this will all end, but I will tell you this right now:

Keep posting the truth, but take care NOT to demoralize your allies in the process.

29 Likes