Watch: uncensored clip of Will Smith hitting Chris Rock in the face at the Academy Awards

More info on their long standing feud?
This is the first I’ve heard of it but I admittedly don’t keep up with celeb gossip either.

2 Likes

I was responding specifically to this:

We can certainly quibble about whether or not it was the correct action

Not to mention subsequent comments justifying Smith’s behavior, because Rock was “being a dick” etc…

2 Likes

In the context of the full exchange, I think that it is pretty clear that that was a hypothetical statement. “We certainly can…” is not the same as “We currently are…”

2 Likes

I agree it’s wrong to find humor in one’s appearance when they have no control of it. But if someone voluntarily makes themself look ridiculous, then it’s open season. For example, Mr. Trump’s orange bronzer making him resemble an Oompa Loopa.

1 Like

The only person who doesn’t suck here, and the only person for whom I really and truly feel sorry, is Jada. This must have been doubly upsetting for her and just not at all what she needs right now…

8 Likes

Started at the 2016 Oscars, famous for #oscarssowhite. Rock did a monologue poking fun at Pinket-Smith’s boycott after Will Smith was snubbed. They have apparently had a strained relationship ever since.

9 Likes

That’s irrelevant to this particular incident.

Pinkett-Smith has alopecia, and that’s a public fact; meaning that her present physical appearance is somewhat beyond her control in regards to her hair.

18 Likes

I get where you’re coming from, but that seems like an arbitrary distinction in the long-run. Plus it also rules out making fun of Trump’s reportedly small penis.

Also: was Chris Rock making fun of Jada Pinkett-Smith’s appearance? (general question)

Yes, he was.

22 Likes
8 Likes

It’s just all too much. The only one I give a shit about in this whole fucking thing is Jada. She should have been the one delivering that slap, too. Rock’s joke was pathetic, Smith’s reaction was typical toxic manly behavior, and the whole thing reeks of two men who don’t want to learn how to be better human beings and, instead, lean on nasty old tropes of what it means to be a comedian, to be a man.

Now this is all anyone will talk about all day. The world burns, but sure… Will Smith slapped Chris Rock and swore at him, and isn’t THAT the real thing we should be discussing all day long? Our society is a sickness, and the Oscars are just one more example of why.

30 Likes

Has it been shown that Chris Rock’s comments were off the cuff and not from the Academy writers?

If he’s standing on the stage making mean comments about the audience in a pretty mean spirited way then this is one thing…

But if he’s just reading a joke then it’s kind of different

A lot of talking out of both sides of the mouth with these folks

@fraudenfelder please change the headline to the more accurate ‘slap’. My understanding is a punch is closed-handed, and that’s not what happened here.

7 Likes

Wow, a lot of people in Hollywood freaking hate Chris Rock going by that reception

4 Likes

except it wasn’t wanda sykes who said what rock said because she’s a comic and it wasn’t, y’know, funny. chris rock once was funny but that remark wasn’t it. i’m not the one to say if smith was justified or not but casual hypotheticals aren’t clarifying the situation at all.

20 Likes
3 Likes

“I’m not saying it’s right, but I understand.”

14 Likes

The first deaf person to get an Oscar was Marlee Matlin in 1987 for Clildren of a Lesser God.

19 Likes

Yes. It seems to be more like a slapping than punching to me.

Three Stooges GIF by IFC

6 Likes