Watch: uncensored clip of Will Smith hitting Chris Rock in the face at the Academy Awards

Jada looked fantastic. Those guys were being dicks.

b734a0d

38 Likes

I also feel like mental illness should be out of bounds. The challenge is that it’s sometimes hard to tell when mental illness is in play.

2 Likes

For some reason that reminded me of this.

3 Likes

Not to excuse Will Smith, but Chris Rock should know better. I mean, he made a documentary called Good Hair: Good Hair - Wikipedia :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Well, that’s the important part. /s

Exactly. Pretending that it doesn’t make any difference in power dynamics is disingenuous.

14 Likes

“Art imitates life. I look like the crazy father,”

So it’s true. . . “parents just don’t understand.”

1 Like

This is so reminiscent of Bill Cosby constantly finger-wagging young black men, admonishing them to “pull up your pants”. Hmm, that certainly didn’t age well.
I sure miss the young Dave Chappelle. He was funny and had something to say.

Almost like he’s trying to draw attention back to his Oscar win. Which is a pretty big deal. Or sadly, was.

5 Likes

Oh, Chris Rock. I first read that as “Will Smith punching Kid Rock” and just had to see that.

19 Likes

But have you imagined how out of line it would be if it was like Mr Rogers instead of Chris Rock and he hadn’t made any jokes at all and then Smith just up and punched him? Then that would be really bad. Surely that clarified something!

:exploding_head:

13 Likes

I’m pretty sure he does. I only saw that movie once and I know better.

8 Likes

What were Chris Rock and Will Smith doing in the TARDIS?

3 Likes

On a night where there were many reasons to celebrate Black excellence (like Ariana DeBose’s win also making her the first openly queer recipient of an Oscar), we’re letting it all get overshadowed by this crap. Ironically, it was on the latest episode of Bel-Air where it was pointed out how much this focus on Black men tearing each other down benefits the wrong people.

7 Likes

This, exactly. There are a very few things that will bring my WVian roots to the fore, but fucking with my loved ones is #1 on the list. I cannot endorse whst Smith did, but i can certainly empathize.

15 Likes

It is not the first time Rock has taken a swipe at Jada Pinkett-Smith.

10 Likes

Is it the one who wrote “maybe he needed that slap to knock some sense back into him?”

1 Like

Its pretty standard fare for celebrities to get roasted, some jokes in previous years have been vicious. Not to say it’s ok, but it’s at a minimum to be expected and i 100% understand why Smith got angry though slapping Chris Rock was something else. I suppose its the only thing keeping the Oscars relevant because i can honestly say i had no idea it was taking place yesterday until news of the slap happened.

2 Likes

See You Later GIF by chuber channel

4 Likes

If you think any comments made are out of line, then feel free to flag them.

10 Likes

So using a pop culture reference from a quarter century ago to make fun of a woman’s medical condition? Yeesh. I would have hoped these events had better writers than that.

17 Likes