Watch: When Sen. Rubio said banning assault weapons would rid us of "every semi-automatic" he didn't expect cheers

Why is this? What are the limits of executive orders?

2 Likes

Maybe, but anything that’s got 2/3 majority approval in both houses of Congress and also manages to get approval of 3/4 of the states through either the legislatures or the constitutional convention process very likely has majority popular support. Hard (but not impossible) to gerrymander the whole country’s legislatures that much.

Of course prohibition is the one example of where this may have failed, but from what I’ve read we don’t have good polling data in 1920 to really know with accuracy what voters thought about it at the time. Whether or not it ever had true popular support the eighteenth amendment was still definitely a bipartisan effort.

3 Likes

Since you’d rather me do the work for you…

5 Likes

Thanks! Indeed, I do find it best to use smart people, esp. those whose opinion I respect, as a guide to the best summary on a subject. Sorry, but yer one of them. :smile:

ETA: a :smile: so my tone is better conveyed.

1 Like

What does him saying “fair enough” even mean in this context?

We already have more people who have car and homeowners/renters insurance than health insurance. So its not too silly a concept.

2 Likes

Feel free to disagree, but Columbine was in 1999, Bill Clinton was the president, and he said pretty much the same thing “something needs to be done”.
Here we are discussing another school shooting 23 years later.

Signed by Clinton in 1994. It was something. And the right vowed they would never allow if again.

12 Likes

It’s probably notable that despite the fact that Columbine had three two shooters working together and planning ahead, they “only” managed to kill 12 students and one teacher as opposed to higher death tolls in many more recent shootings, usually conducted by solo shooters with AR15s or similar weapons. They did not have access to assault rifles because, as @docosc pointed out, Democrats had pushed through an assault weapons ban that was in effect at the time.

7 Likes

Three shooters? I know that was a theory, but I thought it was debunked.

1 Like

You’re right, I got mixed up because a third person supplied one of the weapons.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.