Watch: why you should never stand under the load of a crane

Originally published at: Watch: why you should never stand under the load of a crane | Boing Boing

7 Likes

It’s cranes all the way down.

Also, ho-ly shit that was close.

12 Likes

No one even seemed concerned. Around here, that would have shut the site down. Of course, a site foreman would have been screaming to stay away from the load.

9 Likes

Yeah they call it a hard hat, but it is really? When you head gets driven into your chest cavity, how hard does the hat need to be?

3 Likes

It can prevent a concussion, but it can’t prevent sudden death. You need to use the thing inside the helmet for that, and these folks weren’t.

25 Likes

German phrase of the day:
Mehr Glück als Verstand.

Lucky escape. Looks like the support bracket (Kranpratze) buckled instead of (fully) telescoping in, leaving a gap just high enough.

Oh, someone’s about to have a nice, long, friendly chat with the building trade association (Bauberufsgenossenschaft).

8 Likes

2nd crane accident on the site, no hardhat or high-viz gear. Bad.

10 Likes

Remind me never to hire BBL Cranes.

6 Likes
14 Likes

The guy putting on a hard hat was previously wearing one; it got knocked off in the accident and he grabbed the other one by accident when getting back up. You can see his black hard hat land under the fallen crane and stay there.

I was sweating, seeing them go under that load. What on earth were they thinking?!

Everyone looked pretty nonchalant, yes, but I imagine there are going to be some stern words and stiff fines later.

11 Likes

That promotion you were hoping for, well we put that on hold.

6 Likes

I like a commercial exoskeleton for wandering under loads, myself.
tumblr_n3wdg3VF2W1s2wio8o3_500

4 Likes

You know how people say, “use your head”?

No. Not like that.

4 Likes

Reminds me of the Far Side cartoon where the construction worker survives having an entire building topple over onto his head because he’s wearing his hardhat.

5 Likes

Crane safety 101, never walk under a suspended load.

And having watched enough Youtube videos of crane accidents…if it takes two cranes to lift something stay away. All the way, like remote fly in with a drone, because two cranes lifting a single object (especially a randomly shaped one like a toppled crane) just screams a perfect storm of potential failure.

9 Likes

Safety helmets. . . safety underwear.

5 Likes

… just keeps it in. You still have to deal with the mess when you remove it.

5 Likes

If you need to be told that you dont belong on a job site. Repeat after me " would you like fries with that "

1 Like

Yes, and what about the video title?
Schutzengel machen Überstunden, guardian angels working overtime!
(had that been me, it wouldn’t have been filmable due to the vast quantities of organic matter dribbling out of all available apertures).

2 Likes
7 Likes