Watch: workers in padded armor destroy "murder hornet" nest

Originally published at: Watch: workers in padded armor destroy "murder hornet" nest | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I take it a normal bee suit isn’t enough protection? I ask, because I’ve been wearing my bee suit nonstop since I heard the word “hornet” appended to the word “murder” and people started acting like that’s a combination that’s just a thing now.

7 Likes

I like that there’s a guy who’s job it is to hit the tree with a stick for some reason.

24 Likes

That tree knows what it did.

26 Likes

Sooooo…Oregon is now next to Canada? Did Washington state leave the US? At least the linked article got it right and put the hornets in Washington.

23 Likes

19 Likes

murder hornets are bad…something something…BUT did you see what they built! that is pretty remarkable.

also, how’d they destroy the nest? did they burn it?

10 Likes

Wait until they start appending the word “explosive” to the word “squirrels.” Then we’re all in deep trouble.

From what I remember reading last year, the giant Asian hornets sting can penetrate normal bee protection garb, so it would seem the thicker armor is warranted.

15 Likes

Ah beat me to it, but as a Washington born-and-bred human, reading “Oregon” and then both “Canada” and “Whatcom County” was confusing haha.

5 Likes

Here they are, posing with their drones.

20 Likes

Two thumbs up for stretching back for that movie reference.

19 Likes

The Asian Giant Hornet has a stinger up to a quarter inch (6 mm) long, and can sting multiple times. I can’t imagine what kind of armor you would need.

6 Likes

You can’t be too careful.

13 Likes

The safe word is “buzz off”.

9 Likes

The video is from the Oregonian, so that’s probably the source of confusion.
The hornets have so far been found in Washington, near the Canadian border.

7 Likes

More info here, from the Washington State Dept of Ag. News Releases | Washington State Department of Agriculture

6 Likes

That gives me nightmares during the day. I don’t know why, but bees and wasps and what have you love me. I’ve been stung so many times in my life I can’t count. One time I was driving home from work with the window open and a yellow jacket flew into my car and down the back of my shirt. I didn’t know what it was till it stung me multiple times. I pulled over and ripped my shirt off and watched it fly away. I also had one fly up my shorts and sting my inner thigh when I was riding my mountain bike in the Santa Cruz mountains.

8 Likes

:wink:

5 Likes

So, presumably if Cascadia came into existence I’d finally be able to find a parking spot at the Bellingham Trader Joe’s?

4 Likes

That’s core to the platform. :wink:

4 Likes