Watching a water cut through a lock is a most satisfying way to spend half a minute

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/08/watching-a-water-cut-through-a-lock-is-a-most-satisfying-way-to-spend-half-a-minute.html

6 Likes

Goodbye, Mr Bond

3 Likes

Ha, a Master 140. Been getting into lockpicking and decided to to something similar with the aluminum variant, but not so permanently-destructively. Planning to make it into a repinnable practice lock.

Turns out if you polish the side of one of these locks, the pin hole plugs get much easier to see and pull out (mildly photoshop-enhanced, just playing with curves; the circles are actually there and visible with the naked eye):

2 Likes

I’m never going to look at the pressure regulator on my showerhead the same way again.

2 Likes
1 Like

4 Likes

And as always, have a nice day.

2 Likes

You don’t even need to polish it; put the lock pin-cells-up on top of an anvil and give it a sharp rap with a hammer. The plugs shift a thousandth of an inch or so deeper and you can see where to drill. Use a smaller drill bit than the plug diameter and it will bite into the plug and start turning it. Back off with the drill press and the bit will act as an extractor. I’ve done thousands of these over the years.

3 Likes

That’s not a laser waterjet, it’s a simple waterjet. I’d love to have access to either!

2 Likes

I’m amazed that the lock didn’t move while being bifurcated. Was it glued down?

I’ll be honest, I was (partly) expecting something like this:

Whoa, that’s cool, I’ll try it next time. Did this lock by hand with a pin drill (didn’t have a drill press set up) and a screw to pull the plugs.

1 Like

This. Don’t go getting me all excited with a clean cut like this and then don’t show me the cross section!

3 Likes

True, laser waterjet makes about as much sense as lightsaber refrigerator.

Any takers? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s the laser waterjet manufacturer’s website. It’s fascinating technology - the laser is projected inside a precise hollow water cylinder and bounces off the water to give a narrow cut regardless of the cut depth, unlike conventional laser cutters.

2 Likes

Immediately though of a line in William Gibson’s Count Zero

“He watched a cheerful young mother slice pizza with a huge industrial waterknife”

Well, damn, this is so obvious it’s brilliant. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.