Water pie is a pie which includes water as the main ingredient

Originally published at: Water pie is a pie which includes water as the main ingredient | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I suppose any gelatin-based dessert (including Jello pie) is primarily water but then so is soup and we don’t call soup “water stew.”

9 Likes

winona-ryder-confused-maths

7 Likes

but but water is my main ingredient, do i look like a pie to you? (“well perhaps a pie that went off in 1975ish”)

5 Likes

I’ve not tried making this, but the youtuber emmymade did a video about it: HOT WATER Desperation Pie | HARD TIMES -- recipes from times of scarcity - YouTube

1 Like

One episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation involves some newly-created sentient AIs which describe humans as “ugly bags of mostly water”.

3 Likes

My first thought is this sounds like sweetened gravy.

2 Likes

Seems like this is a variant/same thing as the depression-era “vinegar pie.” I’m not sure which name is less appetizing.

Edit: Ah, no, the water pie is an even more basic recipe, without the eggs you’d find in a vinegar or “transparent” pie, nor even any mixing. Yeah, that doesn’t seem like it would be good. I was thinking, "Surely there must be a better recipe that would use the same ingredients, but it’s just flour and sugar, so… no. There’s not enough butter to make any sort of cookie, nor leavening agent to make any sort of cake, so this half-assed flour-based pudding filling is really the best you could do.

Cheesecake is neither cheese nor cake. It is a custard.

I don’t know about Jello pie but now I want a poke cake, haven’t had one of those in years.

“Honey, we got any cake, jello, and cool whip?”

1 Like

Dylan Hollis made a water pie and described it as tasting like “soggy lint”.

3 Likes

No, thanks. I’m still full from that Sunday-go-to-meetin’ bun.

5 Likes

Apples are like 85% water, so I guess apple pie could technically be a water pie? Probably true for most fruit-based pies, really.

1 Like

Dylan Hollis does amazing TikTok videos about creating old recipes, and trying them out. Very charming and comedic way of doing a cooking show :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great. Now I have to live with that in my head

2 Likes

Great stuff.

3 Likes

Though there are so many things called, in English, “cheesecake” that at least some of them are indeed cakes and most have some sort of cheese as a primary ingredient, so…

2 Likes

This sounds pretty similar to the state pie of Indiana, sugar cream pie, except without the cream. These types of pies originated with the Amish as a way to have pie when your winter store of apples has run out. They are custards essentially, but don’t have eggs.

1 Like

The primary issue I have with this is that you drink water, not chew it. :man_shrugging:

Looking at the Sprite Pie recipe, I’m wondering if you could do this with Dr. Pepper as well.