Water transfer painting is mesmerizing

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Shiny.

1 Like

Okay, I was sold on the paisley one. Can I get four?

1 Like

I don’t quite understand how it works. They show a printed artwork being lowered into the water at the start, but they never show exactly what happens to that print. Does the material it’s printed on dissolve somehow, leaving the paint behind?

Also, I love the combination of small rubber gloves for the hands, and lowering up to the elbows every time. Instant sleeve tats, six times a day while you work there!

2 Likes

Yeah, it seems like whatever spraying process they do after the fact is actually dissolving the material that the design is printed on.

And I really feel like I have a memory of decorating eggs in a manner like this when I was a kid in the 80’s, but I think I might be confusing it with something more like the method described here

This is a really cool process…like “skinning with paint”.

There is IIRC from the 70’s-80’s for marbelizing paper and easter eggs. Floating paint on water and lifting thru the paint. There are youtubes of the process.

1 Like

I like the way they do guitars because it looks like more fun:

You can even do this for fingernails:

6 Likes

Yeah they have been doing this for awhile in Paintball and Firearms. Some really neat stuff.

Need to do this in a swimming pool… Dive in…

2 Likes

We did have something like this as kids for doing easter eggs. You squirted noxious-smelling colors from tubes into a bowl of water and swirled them together. Then you dipped the egg through the surface layer.

You got a cool, high-gloss swirled pattern on the egg. I’m sure I took several years off my life by eating the eggs later. :smile:

1 Like

You had to make me research this, didn’t you.
http://immersiongraphics.com/process.html

Pretty sure the gloves are to prevent getting finger oils on the (likely specially prepared, or at least very clean) object being dipped, not to keep the print off skin. If it was dangerous, they wouldn’t be going elbows deep in the promo material. Probably washes off skin easily with soap.

Yay skeuomorphs! Fake wood and carbon fiber all the things!

2 Likes

I don’t understand the fake carbon fiber thing. It looks ugly (and the real thing machines and joins worse than it looks), and its only salvation is the strength to weight ratio, which does not apply when it is fake.

Carbon Fiber is expensive. Like fake Coach bags, you want people to think you spent more money than you really did.

1 Like

The same basic technique has been used with paper for about a thousand years.

This new take on a very old method gives much greater control over the appearance of the final product however.

https://www.google.com/search?q=paper+marbling&tbm=isch

2 Likes

The process is known as hydrographing and is used a lot on firearms. You start with a sheet of material which is placed in the water bath with the guides to keep it in place, then it is sprayed with an activator, and the object is then slowly dipped through the material. The article is a bit misleading when the author says he would like “the machine” to do this because there is no machine. The setup being used in the video is typical of what is used in commercial shops but you can do this in a large plastic basin in your garage. The biggest trick is getting the speed and angle right so that you minimize the deformation of the graphic as it transfers. Search “hydro dipping” or “hydrographics” on YouTube and you’ll find tons of guides on how to do this at home.

I’ve heard it justified where you have real carbon fibre parts and want something to match.

So trusting, but you are probably correct. I hope it washes off easily with soap. That spray before dipping made me think glue.

Remember when cars had actual paisley ties meticulously attached to them. All taken from the endless paisley forests. Now it is just all of this fake stuff.

2 Likes