Waukesha Wisconsin school board rejects federal meal program because it will "spoil" families and create a “slow addiction” to the service

And the slippery slope of people realizing that government programs can be useful and cost effective.

Yes, accountability theater. We waste most of our resources to demonstrate that we aren’t wasting our resources.

10 Likes

I think I learned about lunch money from cartoons and sitcoms. My mom made me a packed lunch for playgroup, but at school food was always free. I have heard that you have to pay for it in universities.

Free school breakfasts

The capital is launching a free breakfast pilot scheme in four schools with more than 500 pupils. On Tuesday Helsinki’s Education Committee greenlighted the motion to allocate funds for the breakfast pilot in next year’s budget.

The pilot was put forward by city councillor Mai Kivelä (Left).

“We know that kids who don’t eat breakfast at home are more restless than those who do. We see this as a preventative measure,” she said.

The idea of a universal school breakfast programme in the capital is expected to raise debate, writes Swedish-language daily Hufvudstadsbladet, reporting that serving a simple breakfast of just oatmeal in all schools would cost the city 4.6 million euros annually.

5 Likes

Definitely a good guy thing to worry about.

12 Likes

It’s the same where I live. My only issue with it is little kids (our oldest started 2nd grade) don’t have great food or impulse skills yet. I’m not saying the lunches are bad, but I also know he gets a couple snacks a day and they aren’t exactly fresh fruit. When he went to kindergarten (we all remember pre-Covid right?) he put on weight simply because of the change in diet. Now he’s dropped those pounds because of us regulating his food more so.

I understand the debate about the free school breakfast and lunch programs. But at the same time our society will stigmatize a child if they were not to eat lunch or refuse a snack. I only say this because when I was his age my parents more or less let me have open access to the kitchen. Now my mom made a relatively healthy dinner most nights, but that didn’t offset the copious amount of Mt. Dew and sweet tea I consumed. You can call it will power or self control and you say that we shouldn’t be regulating what our kids eat, but I can tell you that in my +40 years I haven’t mastered it so how can I expect to teach it to him.

I don’t mean this as a negative against any of the free food programs. I just think there needs to be less carby junk food options all together. Snacks don’t have to be +100 calories of refined carbs.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying. I was about to mention that this program is a special deal, different than the free and reduced lunch that we’re more familiar with.

Families should still fill out the paperwork for free and reduced because those numbers help buildings secure additional funds. But this temporary program will help catch the newly/suddenly disadvantaged and help more kids get breakfast in the morning. Even the kids that can afford food at home do better with a decent school breakfast option.

3 Likes

I fail to see the relevance

6 Likes

Inheritance? More like birth choices. Only bad, reprehensible monsters would dare to be born poor! Don’t you know that this is a Just World™?

2 Likes

Seems vaguely relevant somehow:

1 Like

services

2 Likes

Food addiction, the silent killer.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.