Wayne County, NY man tries to corner market on local newspaper when it prints his DUI mugshot

My guess was the address of Trump Tower.

1 Like

The musical?

4 Likes

Happens in Florence Foster Jenkins, which of course is set in the 1940s.

1 Like

7 Likes

Calling Mel Brooks!

3 Likes

I guess the press can print pictures of anyone they deem newsworthy, as long as they’re careful to note that he’s only been charged with DUI, not convicted.
I do agree that using the mugshot picture is a bit rude, but reporting that someone has been charged with a crime is not that unusual.

1 Like

Boss, this is one of our most popular issues ever. It’s a sell-out! I smell reprint!

4 Likes

Yeah, the mugshot thing is weird to me because I’m not American so it hasn’t been normalised as acceptable journalism; people look inherently guilty in mugshots, and there’s no need to go with those (or, honestly, any) pictures other than to negatively colour the tone of an article.

I know it’s legal, but Times of Wayne County has printed every mugshot going back 28 years - they’re not rudely reporting in the public’s interest, they’re just being snickering tabloid assholes hoping to shame people for kicks.

1 Like

[quote=“GagHalfrunt, post:24, topic:92511”]
Happens in Florence Foster Jenkins, which of course is set in the 1940s.
[/quote]Which in turn is based on a true story. What we have with the gentleman from the OP is a case of life imitating art imitating life.

1 Like

I can’t speak for New York, but around here the burden of proof for traffic court is 180º off from criminal court: guilt is presumed, and it’s up to the driver to prove themselves not guilty.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.