Ways to cook bacon

God this takes me back (Girl Scouts) …:tent:

1 Like

Wrap it around some asparagus, and roast it in the oven or grill! Yummy.

1 Like

OK. I’m going to tell you a method that is going to sound crazy, but don’t knock it til you try it.
Get your pan. Put about 1 - 2mm of water (A bit under 1/10th of an inch). Heat on high until it is JUST starting to boil.
Lay your bacon down in the pan.
Drop the heat down to medium.
Let the water evaporate out.
Once the water is evaporated out, crank the heat!
Cook til bacon is slightly crispy.

Now… Why do you do this?
Simple. When you boil bacon like this you render the fat in the bacon. It allows the flavour from the fat to further permeate the meat.

Don’t knock it til you try it. It takes longer, but this can get you crispy bacon that is so full of flavour you won’t know what hit you.

3 Likes

And that right there is my problem. I don’t want perfect, I want fast, preferably with little prep time.

All this talk about how to “dispose” of "Excess bacon fat " !? Mix it into your mashed potatoes, or make cornbread with it. The only pipes you clog will be your own

4 Likes

Bacon grease goes into suet blocks in my house too. The can in this picture is the bacon suet.

1 Like

Damn you all, you monsters!

My cholesterol levels are going to hate me but tonight’s dinner was short-cut bacon gently cooked til crisp in a non-stick pan. Eaten on crunchy yet fluffy white rolls with a sunny-side up egg (runny yolk), and a touch of garlic salt.

Oh. So. Goooood.

4 Likes

I’m eating a grilled bacon and egg sandwich, right now.

8 Likes

Personally I go with the lower and slower method, <250F for 2.5 to 3 hours. It gives the bacon a chewier texture, but it does have to be thick cut. Or pan fry on medium low for 30-45 minutes.

Interesting.

takes notes in imaginary notebook

2 Likes

He’s a witch!

But what kind of bread?

PS: My folks shop at Wegman’s (humongous supermarket in PA). That’s when I saw them purchase (during my last trip there) pre-cooked bacon. (??) I did not know of its existence. It actually tasted… acceptable.

Anyone else wondering about why no grilling.

2 Likes

If it’s a nice, thick cut, sure! I’ve taken uncured cuts, marinated them, and slapped them on the grill. Grillbauchscheiben. But grilling means losing all the fat as it drips down. That grease is almost as valuable as the bacon itself. I collect it for making corn bread.

Also, that bacon fat turns out to be quite flammable indeed. You need to be careful, or your bacon will go up in flames and end up burnt crisp. (Has happened to me more than once…)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.