Ways to cook bacon

Entertaining and informative - everything I could want from a video.

I use the laser box method because of high speed and minimal cleanup. It’s more important to me than the resulting quality of the bacon.
Paper towels in the trash, dish in the dishwasher, bacon in the mouth.

Pro tip" Do NOT use turkey “bacon”.

Not to mention the popcorn. Oh, the popcorn.

My (well, Alton Brown’s) best bacon tip, if you wear glasses, is to wear a wide-brimmed hat or a baseball cap while frying. This prevents aerosolized grease droplets from rising up and settling on the inside of your lenses.

Hot tip, so to speak.

5 Likes

Yeah, getting the bra unhooked is hell because the grease makes everything slippery.

For God’s sake, DON’T put any grease down the drain. Guarantees clogs later. Haven’t you heard of “fatbergs”?Pour the liquid grease into a can. Let the pan cool a bit, then swab it with paper towels. If the pan is already cold, scrape out as much grease as you can. Then warm the pan just a bit and then swab it. Never pour any liquid grease down the drain.

8 Likes

Yeah, probably not able to do the mountain gobble of carbs.

BUT, according to Rob Wolff in a podcast the other day, there are long term effects by staying on that diet for 6 months to a year. After that time period, the benefits are more stable.

For a lot of people though, big carb intake isn’t a good thing.

Of course not, but even diligent wiping and draining isn’t going to get it all.

I like to cook bacon by filling my house up with cockroaches, setting a big hunk of raw bacon on a stone in the middle of the living room, let the fire company come over and burn down the house to get rid of the roaches, what’s let over is some crispy bacon with a light coating of fried roach ash which is just delicious!

5 Likes

…when you pry my laser beam box radar gun from my cold, stiff fingers!

Pour it into something. like a frozen juice container. In the winter, the birds will enjoy it. (Squirrels too, if they can get to it.)

2 Likes

I make fire starters for camping/backyard fire pit with bacon grease. It’s amazing stuff if you blend it with some sawdust. I pour it warm but not runny into used egg cartons and one egg cell is perfect for a typical campfire.

3 Likes

I’ve been making bacon grease suet stuffed with seeds and maybe some peanut butter for the birds for ages (not those filthy tree rats! squirrels! how we hates em my precious!) but this idea sounds grand and I bet it smells awesome. I’ll just goggle the recipe or experiment but wanted to give a hat tip to this idea. Perfect for the fire pit in the back and I’m hell-bent on making a cob oven this summer.

2 Likes

Everybody here talking about bacon cooking methods, but I’m just here to point out that You Suck At Cooking (who made the OP video) is a hilarious “cooking” channel and you should watch it.

2 Likes

Bake it, for the win! Now let’s skip the methods and go straight to the best part.

3 Likes

Possibly a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon.

2 Likes

It also makes the best biodiesel. :smiley:

1 Like

George Foreman Grill, FTW!
Cooks twice as fast, no flipping or fussing, drains the grease, and comes out perfectly flat and crispy.
I cut the whole pound in half and the pieces fit the smallest model.

1 Like

It depends on if the bacon is in the mood or not.

1 Like

They may be “reputable since 1955” but they just got a dinesafe infraction…

1 Like

7 Likes