WB kills quality arm “HBO” and doubles down on transphobe's tired story

Rita Skeeter. Loved the books when they came out, thought the movies did a reasonable job, damn it then she had to ruin the whole thing. Done with the franchise, but still in my head.

6 Likes

Everything I’ve read has RTD/Bad Wolf wanting to make spinoffs. I’m sure in a year or so, we’ll probably see something.

1 Like

This has been a fun read and I will pass along what I can to the powers that be, though of course there can be no response or public commentary from me since I am an employee of Warner Bros. Discovery who was part of the original team that launched HBO Max.

1 Like

Rita’s less “plausibly deniable trans” and more “trans coded”, in the same way that Disney villains (especially classic ones) aren’t queer but are queer coded. There’s no indication that the character is actually trans, she’s just:

1. A bad person
  2. Deceptive about who she really is
  3. Described as mannish
  4. From a time before JKR showed her entire bigoted ass on the internet

Edit: To be crystal clear for the internet, I am not saying that trans people are inherently bad people or deceptive about who they really are; that’s just part of how queer coding is used for villains.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.