We killed facial recognition at music festivals: next, we kill it everywhere

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/23/facially-absurd-2.html

5 Likes

We kill it everywhere.

Roger That!

6 Likes

I’m killing it right now!

5 Likes

No, that was a little while ago, I’m basically killing it now over here in San Diego.

5 Likes

It sounds naïve to say that it was killed.
As long as there are cameras, facial recognition can still be implemented.
It will probably just become invisible for most people, no direct reference of it as an use to control the entrance access, but it will spill be employed by security.

Every year the IQ necessary to implement a facial recognition system falls 2 points, and the cost 5 %.

3 Likes

Nope. It’s dead, dead, dead. Dead as the dead hand of techno-fascism. Dead as the cold dead hearts of silicon valley’s corporate overlords. Dead as the dead eyes of the politicians who do their bidding. Dead as the zombies who are even now smashing down my door and… uh oh, gotta run…

5 Likes

Where can I get wireframe masks from? Enterprising jewellery designers – get to work.

1 Like

Hats off to RATM and others, but this concern may not have stopped Taylor Swift… https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/feb/15/how-taylor-swift-showed-us-the-scary-future-of-facial-recognition

1 Like

That Edward Snowden interview on Joe Rogan really painted a vivid, plausible picture of a government that doesnt require or acknowledge the input of its subjects. The senators and presidents may come and go, but the surveillence machinery is kept running to benefit those we will never see on the ballot.

If the American voter can’t get universal health care, gun control, or taxation for the rich, despite having clear majority support, what makes anyone think we have to power to kill facial recognition? We have the power to push it onto a black budget. Maybe.

3 Likes

Hats off?! Don’t take your hats off! That’s how the Facial Recognition gets you! You need more hats! Bigger hats!

2 Likes

Yep. But one can have naive confidence it may not be being used. The day they ban masks, veils, balaclavas, etc., is the day you KNOW it is in use. Hello Hong Kong.

1 Like

I don’t know.
I think I prefer that they advertise that they have those invasive things working so it is easier to identify where it is coming from and how to deal with it.
Not having it public, specially after a nominative victory against surveillance, makes us relax too much.
And the ones who still keep wearing mask after they said they are not using facial recognition are seen as overreacting.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.