Wealthy family Mercers role in shaping Trump campaign & admin

Eeeeh, Murdoch and his ilk are pretty platform-agnostic. Our loony press is all about war with Spain this week. Whats in the barmy papers in Oz?

It wasnā€™t 45ā€™s base who voted for all that shitty downright evil state and local ā€˜representationā€™ā€¦

The pre-Trump GOP base were also overwhelmingly white, racist and not-poor.

Iā€™m not seeing a huge contrast in the demographics. The Trumpeters have a few more overt Nazis, the old-school GOP had a few more Machiavellian plutocrats.

But, in general, itā€™s the same people.

1 Like

Sure, those bastards fuck over every culture they touch, but some culturesā€‹ give them more to work with than others.

Although thereā€™s no shortage of ugly here in Oz, America does ugly best - just cast a glance to the White House to see the personification.

1 Like

I think @Wanderfound is right about the gerrymandering issue, actually and the role that plays in getting and keeping the GOP in power, especially on a state level. Here in GA, that literally just happened again, with some previously very white, very middle class districts getting some more diversity and the district lines being moved to preserve that white, middle class demographic.

This is common practice and is more blatant now that the voting rights act has been effectively gutted. [quote=ā€œtlwest, post:15, topic:98161ā€]
Iā€™m unwilling to assume that a huge number of Americans (or any group) are either deeply stupid or just simply evil, so Iā€™ll stick with sociological speculation about culture.
[/quote]

Honestly, I think that they (we?) are smart enough to see the corruption in the system and are seeking out ways around that. They also realize that the rot is in both sides, and are willing to try anything to get it out. They just donā€™t see how Trump himself is actually still connected to that rot. They assumed that his wealth and temperament would mean he could be free of this rot, but they were wrong, because he is a core part of the larger rot of American inequality.

6 Likes

I dunno, I think you have to be pretty fucken thick to either fail to look at the guyā€™s history, or assume that somehow it wonā€™t be relevantā€¦

Anyone who bought that shit about draining the swamp is an absolute sucker.

Hey, I know! Iā€™m sick of politicians, letā€™s elect someone who isnā€™t one.

Except he lies even more than a politician. Thatā€™s pretty special. Oh, and by the way, all that machinery of democracy is considered quaint these days; surplus to requirements.

1 Like

To be fair, Obama ran on a platform of greater transparency, and although the radical right was wrong about many of the things he was doing in secret, there is no doubt that the security state didnā€™t go away, but in fact expanded under Obamaā€¦ He even engaged in a war on whistle blowers.

I think that there are certainly the just flat out ignorant, but there is the ā€œletā€™s burn it downā€ contingent.

But sure enough, many Americans are apparently ambivalent about democracy, maybe in part because they really see themselves going no where fast. Thatā€™s not entirely untrue, even if itā€™s not the entire truth of the matter.

Iā€™m not working up a defense of Trumpkins here, just a more complicated explanation, as I see it. YMMVā€¦

3 Likes

the targeting of whistleblowers particularly bugs me about Obama.

3 Likes

Growing up in suburbs of NYC Iā€™ve had a lifetime of watching Trump lie.

1 Like

I think people tend to focus on the presidential disaster. But to me the story of American exceptionalism is in the Republican majorities everywhere else. Obama helped me ignore this fact, but dear God are a lot of Republicans elected at the state and congress level, and I donā€™t think itā€™s just gerrymandering and disenfranchisement (although Iā€™d like to believe so).

While I like to put those ā€œother peopleā€ in a box labelled awful, a tiny bit of honesty requires me to look inward. Do I support open borders? No. Yet, Canada could take in 100 million, and their lives would be massively improved. It would be the greatest possible good that Canada could ever do in terms of increasing human welfare.

Why donā€™t I support it? Fear, greed and bigotry

Fear - fear that other cultures that are antithetical to mine would dominate the social and political discourse.
Greed - Iā€™m not uniquely competent. Another 100 million Canadians would probably drop by salary to close to the world average for my vocation, say a factor of 3. Thereā€™s no ethical reason why I should be earning 3 times what equally competent people elsewhere do. Iā€™m just greedy.
Bigotry - I like my culture. I consider it preferable to many others and want to see it continue. Yet my brand of liberalism is almost unknown outside of urban developed nations. So Iā€™m willing to see millions upon millions continue to suffer simply because I want to preserve my culture. I donā€™t consider the fact that I am ā€˜culturalistā€™ rather than ā€˜racistā€™ to be all that different.

The only difference between me and the Republican mentality is not a matter of kind, but only a matter of degree. And to be honest, itā€™s a matter of degree that 90% of the world would consider invisible.

Of course, that doesnā€™t stop me from fighting for what I consider right. But it does keep a lid on my righteousness while doing so.

2 Likes

If you look at the history of it, the gerrymandering effort began with state legislative races, and focused in a few key states they hoped to flip republican. It was a cheap investment to sway small local state rep races, and they swung that to bias at a national level. And sure, started trying it in other states after that.

The really sad part of this is the Dems seeming inability to muster any organized response from a majority (but losing) position.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.