Website shows you how to tie knots

Instructions confused, send help.

I find the knots I use the most are a Lark’s Head (aka cow hitch) along with a half hitch. The key reason for the combination is to create a nicely defined loop that does not tighten under tension. This is vital to know in most of the situations where I’m using rope.

3 Likes
5 Likes

and it’s so much more polite :blush:

5 Likes

I have an app called Knots 3d because whenever we’re camping I can never remember how to tie a simple bowline. It’s a great app.

I thought I’d try the app from the website, it says not compatible with my Pixel 6 Pro.

Weird.

2 Likes

A bowline is one of the ones I learned that first day! I do still sometimes use the mnemonic with the rabbit, because it works

1 Like

Sources from antiquity agree that Alexander the Great was confronted with the challenge of the knot, but his solution is disputed. Both Plutarch and Arrian relate that, according to Aristobulus, Alexander the Great pulled the linchpin from the pole to which the yoke was fastened, exposing the two ends of the cord and allowing him to untie the knot without having to cut through it. Some classical scholars regard this as more plausible than the popular account.

Source

4 Likes

Having both sailed and climbed, I’m familiar with a variety of knots.
Just two weeks ago, trekking on the Alta Via n1 in Valle d’Aosta, I had the opportunity for a cross-over.

A friend’s walking stick, of the modern foldable kind, had failed - the internal rope and spring had detached from the tip section, but could somehow still hold on the mid section.

I salvaged the thing with some straw to create friction between two sections and using a “daisy flower knot” (IT) a.k.a. sheepshank to shorten the internal rope, now attaching the mid section to the handle one.

That’s a knot that I never saw used in climbing, and for good reasons, as it’s seldom needed to shorten a rope without access to the ends, and it’s not extra safe, here it fit perfectly, being both adjustable and slim enough to fit inside the tubing.
Even the Italian Alpine Club trek leader was impressed.

(OK, I’m bragging. Sometimes it’s good for your soul).

9 Likes

I’m a carrick bend guy, myself. The zeppelin bend looks easier to learn, though. I probably use a rolling hitch way to often. Clove hitch is not a knot I’d rely on to stay tied.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. It’s perfect.
I was just talking about knots with my kid yesterday.

2 Likes

Serendipity strikes again, here’s the new video from Veritasium:

5 Likes

Do try the Zeppelin, it’s simple, secure, and easy to untie.

This is the method I use:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.