Website shows you how to tie knots

Originally published at: Website shows you how to tie knots | Boing Boing

14 Likes

They also have a great app. Really useful both if you want to practice making knots and when you need a specific knot in the moment.

It’s weird. I always thought knots were too complicated for me to remember. But when I had to learn a few when I began sailing and practiced them over and over again, suddenly everything fell into place and it was easy to remember and to learn new knots. This app helped a lot with that.

12 Likes

They’re really knot too complicated.

9 Likes

Half Baked Boo GIF

17 Likes

I hear you, but consider my counterpoint
Please Clap Jeb Bush GIF by MOODMAN

7 Likes

barney GIF

4 Likes

I don’t have a name for the knot I really want to learn other than the "take-out (take-away for our UK friends) knot, where a bag is tied so you can pull it free. Like a slip-knot but done with two bag ends, as opposed to a single rope/side.

3 Likes

Thank God, it’s been getting increasingly more difficult to find velcro shoes in adult sizes.

3 Likes
8 Likes

So…uh…nothing yet on the untying of knots then?

4 Likes

It’s useful to know perhaps 4 knots:.

• a fixed loop at the end of a line
  • a way to attach a line to a bar/branch/other fixed point (aka a hitch)
  • a way to attach a line with adjustable tension (like a guy line)
  • a way to join two lines together (aka a bend).

To that end I’d recommend new knotters try:

• the Bowline. Honourable mention to the Figure 8 loop
  • Round Turn & Two Half Hitches. Honourable mention to the Siberian Hitch
  • Rolling Hitch. Honourable mention to the Farrimond Hitch.
  • Zeppelin Bend. Honourable mention to the Fisherman’s Bend.

There are many others it’s good to know, but those will see you in good stead in most situations. They can all be found at Animated Knots.

Of course it goes without saying that EVERYONE should be able to tie a Trucker’s Hitch

7 Likes

My go-to knots/hitches

• clove hitch, really handy for lashing twine in my garden

• figure 8 on bight, for tying off loops on cable ends

• alpine butterfly, for forming knots in the middle of a line

• fisherman bend, for tying one rope to another.

7 Likes

This is the one I’m familiar with

6 Likes

The clove hitch is best when the load is perpendicular to the fixing point. You might like to try a constrictor knot, which is very similar but with an extra “tuck”. It grips much tighter than a clove hitch.

2 Likes

Just bend your mind to it. A little practice and it will go off without a hitch.

6 Likes

Alexander the Great found a big fucken sword worked pretty well in a pinch.

5 Likes

Square knot, Figure 8 knot, and the ‘shoelace’ knot are the ones I know best, although I can do an acceptable electrician’s knot for joining an extension cord to a power tool cord.

1 Like

this video frustrates me because she picks it up by the wrong loop. here’s a related video where the commentary is better than the knot used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jDdvjfj3_g

here’s a different take on takeout style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUGV4JUxXm0

edit: and that guy’s video is comically too long. (the first one posted)

2 Likes

Therein lies the rub: I would have to untie the knot before I could possibly pick up a sword. It’s a real Catch-22.

3 Likes

She uses the wrong loop in the video I posted, but it’s a succinct demonstration of the knot I wanted to demonstrate. Yours all convey the knot that NukeML posted and which I was responding to.

The “take-out knot” that I see most around here is a half bow. It’s this knot, but maybe less obvious here not seeing it with bag handles. Ignore everything happening below the pipe.