Weird Al joins Weezer onstage to perform Toto's 'Africa'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/11/weird-al-joins-weezer-onstage.html

10 Likes

Nice! And a fun way to kick off my weekend, whoop!

4 Likes

Does he really need to announce who that is?

6 Likes

Amazingly, probably not. He’s had so many hits over so many decades that there is a version of Weird Al for all ages! I was amazed when my 11 yo son and I saw him recently how diverse the audience was. I mean, it was 99% nerd, but other than that a great mix of ages, races and genders.

6 Likes

Just saw this show (sans Weird Al, sadly) in Denver, touring with the Pixies - Weezer really killed it.

1 Like

Yeah, he’s like They Might Be Giants in the cross-generational appeal.

2 Likes

1.) It would have been hard for me to believe back in 1980 that the guy doing a cover of the Knack’s “My Sharona” as “My Bologna” would have such a long career, but god bless him, he’s an American treasure.

2.) I look into the crowd and see all the lights from smartphones, and just shake my head that so many people spend concerts watching it all on a little screen when it’s right there in front of them, life sized and 3D.

3.) on the other hand I wouldn’t get to see this clip if not for them recording the show. So fair enough.

3 Likes

Probably the people with the smartphones are recording it for themselves, if they aren’t forbidden from doing so. I probably would, but then, we like Weird Al. Saw the clip on Wednesday, good stuff.

When I saw the title, Weird Al joins Weezer onstage to perform Toto’s ‘Africa’, I immediately thought “OMG the Africa keyboard solo on accordion!!!”

And I was not disappointed.

That’s a great solo, btw.

4 Likes

Crowd seems to have been loving it, great show!

“Cross-generational Appeal” is also They Might Be Giants’ latest single.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.