Weird Al Yankovic, brand marketing genius

[Permalink]

Weird Al is still a genius, it’s just that these days I have no idea what songs he’s parodying.

6 Likes

and UHF!

5 Likes

Strangely enough, only about a third of his new album is ‘current/recent’ parody. The rest are originals and style parodies of older stuff.

1 Like

True – and that’s actually been the case for some time now. In the past 15 years he’s done Don McLean, Bob Dylan, Billy Joel, the Doors, and Frank Zappa, off the top of my head.

I’ll admit I don’t recognize any of the current songs from the new album (except Happy), but I recognize Crosby, Stills and Nash just fine.

1 Like

It shouldn’t surprise anyone that Al’s a smart dude; he graduated top of his class.

Granted, his degree is in architecture and not marketing, but he’s clearly no slouch at marketing either.

Definitely give the song he’s parodying here a listen. It’s about music glamourizing conspicuous consumption. I listened to it after watching Weird Al’s video and I keep going back to it.

I think I like this cover version even better though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.