Weird Al's request: 'Please don't pickaxe my star...'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/30/weird-als-request-please.html

15 Likes
8 Likes

12 Likes

I continue to beat the drum that the continued exclusion of Weird Al from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is a travesty. He deserves the honor more than about half the bands that have been inducted the last decade. And yeah, the Hall is a sham in general, but they should at least be a respectable sham.

21 Likes

The fact that he hasn’t aged a day since I was 10 suggests that he has, in fact, done something unfathomably monstrous.

24 Likes

It’s been forever since I heard “Another One Rides the Bus” for the first time on my mom’s car radio when I was a kid. This is long overdue! Congratulations you happy, happy mutant!

16 Likes

There’s a perfectly reasonable explanation for that.

17 Likes

The sex pistols called it the year they got inducted.

6 Likes

This calls for a novelty song, surely?

“Un-break my heart” almost scans with “Don’t-pickaxe my star”.

5 Likes

Proper protocol is to leave a Twinkie Weiner Sandwich at the site, preferably made with a tofu dog.

8 Likes

You get caught betting on songs, you get a lifetime ban. Same as all the other halls of fame.

3 Likes

Holy moly! Is that Reggie Watts in the crowd?

3 Likes

“Stop axing my star around”?

7 Likes

Those kind words by Lt. Dangle … must be some dust in my eye.

I swear, if he starts putting kids in cages in the desert, I am grabbing my pick and heading for Cali. I don’t care how cute he is.

5 Likes

Atta boy, Al! So happy to see you on a star. Much deserved. Your albums provided endless enjoyment when I was a kid in the 80’s. So glad that you’ve been able to continue making people laugh with your music and sense of humor.

2 Likes

Seems like a reasonable request…

(hides pickaxe)

4 Likes

Please, please don’t pickaxe my star. I know it’s all the rage these days, but that’s not cool. Unless at some point in the future, I do something unfathomably monstrous and evil in which case, sure, fine, okay, go ahead

I also appreciate the rest of that bit - “But anything short of that, please limit yourself to spitting and urinating, OK? Have some class, people.”

10 Likes

Seems to me that the hall of fame is terribly biased. The list of inductees has a lot of head scratchers who are far less culturally influential than Weird Al:

Only thing I can think of is: A bias against comedy acts, or he just has not sold enough albums (only 12 million).

Similar story with Metal. You think about cultural impact and album sales, it’s hard to imagine that Iron Maiden hasn’t been inducted with 100 million albums sold.

4 Likes

There’s your answer!

1 Like