Weird Al's UHF gets a 4K release

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/03/weird-als-uhf-gets-a-4k-release.html

9 Likes

Given so many fonts make minimal distinction between lowercase ell and uppercase aye, here’s hoping that Alfred Matthew Yankovic can lock down the rights before the AI Boom fuzzes alI Al to AI

5 Likes

I wish we could stylize Artificial Intelligence as “Ai” so I stop picturing Weird Al coming for my job.
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

13 Likes

Were both these links supposed to go to the Wikipedia article…?

I wanted to know if they just applied some sort of upscaler or if they went back and scanned the original film instead. (I guess that’s a lot less expensive than it used to be?)

1 Like

It’s a 4K scan of the original camera negative. No upscaling…

4 Likes

He could turn himself into one, then he’d be Weird AI and Weird Al

4 Likes

No!

5 Likes

The set is available in four tiers priced at $40, $53, $76, and $130, which is a mess, but if you’re not interested in collecting all the physical doohickies, it’s that first price for just the movie that you need to know.

The Criterion Collection wishes it could command those sorts of prices.

2 Likes

It could be this Al coming for you. Dude scored 4 touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High Panthers in the city championship game.

Wikia_MWC_-_Peg's_Al

I rewatched UHF a couple years ago and it still holds up, IMO. I remember having a dub of the soundtrack as a kid, some great songs on there, including this epic tale:

7 Likes

A lot of the pop culture references it satirizes aren’t quite as topical as they used to be but if you’re old enough to remember any portion of the 1980s it’s still a funny film.

If my kids were watching it I’d have to pause it every few seconds to explain the Beverly Hillbillies or First Blood or cheesy daytime game shows or even what “UHF” channels were.

6 Likes

Aw boy - there should be like a 30 min show that shows clips of all that stuff, so the younger kids have a reference to get the pop culture references.

3 Likes

Yeah I had a similar experience watching Weird: the Al Yankovic Story with my kids several months ago. Funny as hell to me, but I get why anyone born well into the 21st Century (and who never watched rock biopics like Walk the Line or The Doors) would miss a lot of the gags.

6 Likes

How far in were you before you realized - OOHHH - this isn’t a Bio Pic, it’s a Bio Pic Spoof!

I more or less gathered that from the previews but the ending was still a fun surprise.

1 Like

I guess I didn’t watch the previews. It took me a little bit, maybe 15 min or so, before I figured it out. There were hints were I was like, “That doesn’t sound right.” and then something happened and I was like, “Oohhhh.”

Fun fact - his dad was born in the Strawberry Hill area of Kansas City!

3 Likes

Supplies

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.