Weird Rep. Andrew Clyde doubles down on "normal tourist visit" description of Capitol riot

His vacation privileges should be revoked- worldwide.

10 Likes

We already see the answer to that daily in the USA.

20 Likes

There was something I read on Medium earlier this week regarding cognitive differences between “liberal” and “conservative” people. (Quotes because these terms are more loaded than the family po on half-price night.) The takeaway of the article was that:

When a Conservative accepts a new piece of information, they tend to seize on it and freeze on it, blocking themselves from any additional data that could cause ambiguity. When someone provides evidence contrary to their beliefs, the typical Conservative is more likely to become defensive.

This lines up with the findings of psychologist Jonathan Haidt. Conservatives have stronger ingroup tendencies, along with a higher proclivity to submit to authority (so long as said authority belongs to their ingroup).

Mind you, this doesn’t let Clyde off the hook. It’s my impression that the oaf is still pandering to potential voters in order to not only stay in power., but to stay alive Yes, given their tribalism and hatred of anyone not in or grovelling to their tribe, I believe he and his family would be in mortal danger if he did admit he was wrong. (He’s probably also virtue signalling to Emperor Blarglefart Vuvuzela in order to get the putrescent sac to say nice things about him for the rubes.)

I despair a lot of the time. It’s like there’s two separate civilisations in the USA, one almost too hostile and paranoid to allow to continue. I’ll let your biases decide which is which.

4 Likes

I’d love in concept to get rid of the trumpies, but what you wrote sounds too much like The Final Solution. We have to learn to live with them. For me that means exposing that they are wrong, forcing them to accept it no matter how much they resist, rubbing their face in their shit a bit for my own satisfaction, and moving on and trying to create a decent life for everybody.

5 Likes

Yeah that episode messed me up for years - I couldn’t remember if it was Lights or Fingers in the book.

2 Likes

The Wikipedia entry for the episode (Chain of Command) states the episode had lights (which I remembered) while 1984 had fingers (which I didn’t.)

The Reception section also says that the episode has been consistently among the highest rated episodes of TNG (and in some cases of the whole franchise) and I agree. It’s a powerful episode.

2 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t word my thoughts very well since I have little to no compassion for those oiks.

Perhaps a better term would be uplift: elevate them or more likely their grandchildren out of the tar-pit they’re in, by improving their situations. But that requires a huge range of actions: encouraging increased expenditure in education facilities and positive views of same; improving physical and mental health access and outcomes; cultivating meaningful employment opportunities; weeding out opportunist politicians hypocritically campaigning to enter government in order to prove government is the enemy. None of which, in the current American situation, is possible.

Firstly, many of these would require renovation or detonation of entrenched monopolies; damn it, now I have visions of Fox News buildings being imploded. This is federal level activity, which would be vehemently demonised by those profiting from the status quo, like the evangelical churches, right wing media, the health prevention industry (sorry, health “insurance”) and what passes for the Republican party these days. If they aren’t doing so already.

Basically the only way I can see of reducing the threat is to seriously rework how the US government works. Which is the other reason I can never run for office.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.