Weird true facts that sound false

Just look at this amazing fact about human DNA. Just look at it.

1 Like

I had just clicked to reply with a similar sentiment, then saw your post at the end. Good work!

True facts are my favourite facts.

1 Like

You can get an idea of what dinosaur locomotion was like by putting fake tails on chickens.
PLOS ONE: Walking Like Dinosaurs: Chickens with Artificial Tails Provide Clues about Non-Avian Theropod Locomotion

4 Likes

Billy Dee Williams: time traveler.

Iā€™m fairly sure that the computer and tablet on the right were taken from some artistā€™s mock-ups of theoretical future Macintosh models from Wired or someplace like that.

1 Like

Stats say you probably will anyway, considering the way our longevity is increasing, by the time you make it to what is currently the average lifespan (77 for men, 82 for women, if youā€™re in the US) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy)

It has increased significantly (about 11 years since the 50s) just since your grandfather was the age you are now (whatever that may be). So by the time you reach the current average lifespan it will already have increased significantly againā€¦ all things being equal, of courseā€¦
Example: http://www.inequalitywatch.eu/spip.php?article106

Iā€™m reasonably sure that itā€™s a perfectly ok synecdoche, though you may not like being a part of that particular whole on this occasion.

Not if average means ā€œmedianā€

[quote=ā€œLDoBe, post:28, topic:22119ā€]while the 12% figure is right at the edge where the methanol level is just low enough to not make you blind.[/quote]Yikes. Did you mean ethanol? I was not aware anyone was adding methanol to anything intended for human consumption.

A very large pomelo and very, very, small pea. Fer instance, a pea the size of a sesame seed.

Methanol is a byproduct of fermentation along with other fusel alcohols. Ethanolā€™s the main product of course, but other alcohols are synthesized as well. They cause the hot/burning/pungent tastes that make some liquors taste like kerosene.

Neither methanol or ethanol would be added to the final product.

Ok fair enough, but the median isnā€™t the average. The average is synonymous with the arithmetic mean.

not necessarily

My dad is a water & sewer superintendent. I just forwarded this to him. Fantastic; thanks for the link.

[quote=ā€œtim_rowledge, post:22, topic:22119, full:trueā€]
Americans re-elected George Bush.
[/quote]Too soon.

4 Likes

My pleasure. :smile:
The thing that got me was that despite my awe and amazement at human achievement ala the dynamic Voyager spacecraft duo, or really any one of our spacefaring robots, that the thing which exceeds those items in terms of raw speed is a manhole cover atop a nuclear bomb. I donā€™t know whether to cheer or cry.

3 Likes

If it wasnā€™t for that pesky Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, we could have had people dying of radiation poisoning both in space and on land.

1 Like

Iā€™m fairly sure that the computer on the right is the Esper or Voight-Kampf, taken from Blade Runner:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.