Welcome to BBS, our new discussion boards

Tables do not exist in the spec, however some markdown implementations have extensions for this (for example: https://stackedit.io/ ) , markdown allows you to mix html so in theory this could work

<table>
<tr>
  <td>col1</td>
  <td>col2</td>
</tr>
</table>

However I believe @eviltrout stripped out the support for this in the sanitizer per @codinghorror’s instructions. You can still ghetto something with pre formatted text

heading1   heading2
--------   --------
col1       col2

This leaves a few options

1. Give up on tables
  2. Write a plugin for table support
  3. Write a patch for Discourse with table support (with a site setting)
  4. Use preformatted text (just type 4 spaces followed by stuff) but it is very ghetto

Bug report: When I look at my own “all posts” view (via Firefox), I see the entire list of posts repeated twice (ie, three total instances). I presume that’ll be a fairly obvious coding error.

What is a “system” notification with a pencil icon?

Pencil icon means edit, just like it does on the bottom of your posts (those you can edit). So the system edited one of your posts. Click the red edit indicator in the upper right of the post in question to see what changed.

I know we just instituted a change to copy all remote linked images to local images so they don’t die from bit-rot – does your post contain an image?

I have a pencil icon in the upper right-hand corner, but I cannot click on it (although I figured out that it was the image that changed). I tried it in both Firefox and Chrome.

The community here (including you) asked that we disable that functionality. Sorry! The details are here:

edit: wait, do you mean on your own posts? You should always be able to view revisions on your own posts, otherwise there is a new bug.

Yes, I mean on my own posts. If I hover over the icon I get “post last edited on ____” but nothing that I can click. I remember being able to click that icon previously, but I am not sure when it stopped being an option.

Oh, that is not good. Sounds like a new regression we will take a look.

1 Like

That would explain it even I can’t click on anything.

Thanks!

Seems like it’s already been fixed. @technogeekagain and I can’t reproduce it now. Problem solved!

I just fixed this. You can see your own edits now. Thanks for reporting it!

2 Likes

Goodness me, this is very cool stuff. Tremendously exciting to see this working. Keep it up.

It appears that in the “[Boing Boing BBS] Forum Activity” messages, the unsubscribe link at the bottom is not going to a valid host. It, instead, points to: http://email/unsubscribe/uniquecode

This configuration should be changed, as otherwise the messages are not complaint with CAN-SPAM.

Thanks for reporting this. I introduced a regression yesterday that broke that link. I’ve fixed it so future digests will have the correct link.

Oh sweet!

So I’m wondering what the occasional notification by ‘system’ is about, when I notice it’s an edit icon, and there’s a red one next to my post, which brings up a nifty edit history (I think I’d seen that once before - very nice stuff), and a message from ‘system’: Reason: We have downloaded copies of the remote images.

Trick and slick. I am impress.

1 Like

Okay, so I’m finally in. No wonder I never bothered before. Let me count the annoyances:
(0) I’ve signed up to post to boingboing before, but my old userid and password were dead.
If you couldn’t import them to the new system, then maybe you shouldn’t be using it…
(1) Lots of whizzy javascript boxes, requiring me to use a virgin firefox to get it to work.
(2) Ditto icons and such that disappear against my preferred background, which is black.
(3) It took me some time to decide to click on the little man icon in the upper right.
Perhaps there’s something clearly labeled “login” all the way at the bottom, and I missed it?
(4) I sign-up for discourse.org, it sends me email, I click it, then I try to login at boingboing to post. This doesn’t work. It tells me I haven’t dealt with the email yet.
(5) I return to my email and find I have a second piece of email from boingboing with yet another link to click. Double authentication? Sure is nice to know that no one is going to be able to post embarrassing remarks at boingboing for me (that’s my job).

All in all, this is looking like the same wonderful user experience we have all come to expect from our Web 2.0 lord and masters. It would no doubt be easier if only I were willing to sign over my identity to facebook or google.

I think it was a good decision to take the commenting away from the post and just show the best comments underneath. It takes alot heaviness from BoingBoing articles and still allows the discussion, with better tools though.

Sounds like you had a hard time. On the upside, free thing to complain publicly about!

I am beginning to think an ‘ignore user’ button would be great. Or one that blocks notifications from a thread from hitting my my inbox.

Not one that blocks messages from my eyes, just one that stops me from being notified of someone else’s last-word-itis.

You already have this, look at the button at the bottom of every topic. Set it from “tracking” or “regular” to “muted”.