Well-known Fact Checkers find fake Fact Checkers facts fake: Russian misinformation edition

Originally published at: Well-known Fact Checkers find fake Fact Checkers facts fake: Russian misinformation edition | Boing Boing

6 Likes

hackers GIF

6 Likes

How much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

How many facts can a fact checker check if a fact checker could check facts?

How many fake facts can a fake fact checker check if a fake fact checker could check fake facts?

How many fact checkers can check fake fact checker facts if a fact checker can check fake fact checker facts?

I need a nap.

5 Likes

“Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.”
– Winston Smith (George Orwell 1984)

7 Likes

Its pretty easy to see if Ukraine was lying about killing Russian soldiers, that would only be helpful for a few days if they weren’t really killing Russian soldiers, and then they’d be overrun. That does not seem to be happening.

4 Likes

it sheds a lot of light on how expert and deep Russia’s misinformation expertise runs.

There’s an enormous amount of institutional knowledge and culture behind Russia’s BS and lying industry. It goes back at least to 19th century Tsarist times, when they created the “Protocols of the Elders of Zion” forgery, conspiracist nonsense that’s still being taken seriously more than a century later.

8 Likes

The whole Ukraine invasion has led me to believe that the entire Russian military has placed disinformation above all else and that it even serves disinformation up the chain of command. It’s the only explanation why Russian soldiers are being provisioned with food years past it’s expiration date and their convoys are running out of fuel. It can’t just be incompetence I assume oligarchs have been skimming/looting from the military for decades.

Is the whole Russian military just a paper tiger?

7 Likes

With nukes.

putin-balloon

6e84f0a08127cb6e47a47941f235de50

7 Likes

“What is the cost of lies? It’s not that we’ll mistake them for the truth. The real danger is that, if we hear enough lies, we no longer recognize the truth at all. – Valery Legasov in ‘Chernobyl’

7 Likes

In my five level propaganda model, this belongs in stage 2: You are meant to be confused by this.

The point of the exercise is not that you believe it, but that you are taught that you can’t believe anything. It’s about breaking down the very concept of “true”, until all that’s left is competing narratives, with no connection to reality.

It’s Postmodernism, weaponised.

7 Likes

Or have the nukes all been sold off behind the scenes? And if not the actual fissile material maybe just some key component of the delivery system?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.