Welsh heat wave reveals ancient ruins under farm fields

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/11/welsh-heat-wave-reveals-ancien.html

6 Likes

It’s interesting that the hedges go around the long-buried ruin. The property lines may be ancient, too.

29 Likes

Yeah, when land is continuously inhabited (even at rural density), imaginary boundaries can be more durable than any kind of built structure. Buildings get abandoned or demolished when the owner stops needing them, but for a property line to move, at least two parties have to want the same change at the same time, so more often the line is left where it is, even if it changes from a hedge to a wall to a road and back again.

People talk about how modern highways follow the course of roads built by the Romans, but we only notice that because Roman roads were distinctive and famous – there are likely some towns whose street plans date back to mysterious ancient Stonehenge times.

27 Likes

Traces of similar ruins were found in Ireland as well, according to this Dublin blog.

12 Likes

The Incas also liked to build roads and paths through their territory. One even linked the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean. I do not know if these roads are still used until today.

https://hiddenincatours.com/ancient-pre-colombian-road-connecting-atlantic-ocean-cusco-peru/

17 Likes

Who says global warming doesn’t have positive externalities!

14 Likes

They found several geoglyphs in the Amazonian Rain Forest these days too.

8 Likes

Aerial archaeology isn’t exclusively reliant on crop marks, shadowmarks and soilmarks can be used as well. I once flew with the guy who discovered parts of Vetera II - using shadow marks on a closed snow cover and lowest angle sunlight in december.

These archeological features are called Erdwerke (earthworks). Usually Hill forts or most often tumuli (burial mounds).

17 Likes

This makes me nostalgic for The Detectorists. Maybe I’ll watch a few episodes again, if only for that theme song.

5 Likes

It’s not a global warming bug, it’s a global warming feature!

16 Likes

For anyone curious, “Welsh heat wave” means highs of around 82F (though the next couple of days it is expected to be around 75F).

Discovered through Luftbildarchäologe.

10 Likes

Do those contain Erdmöbel?

2 Likes

And for anyone in for a fusion of New Wave and R&B, Welsh Heat Wave is playing at the Bronze Potato Thursday night. (Yes, they will be playing their hit single, Ancient Ruins…)

14 Likes

A pretty good job just opened up at EPA. You should definitely apply.

11 Likes

We have these ring forts all over Ireland, especially in the west. A cursory Google earth search shows them everywhere. Most were probably animal enclosures, but the larger ones could get quite complex with multiple rings and Sous-terrans. Town names often harken to what kind of ring fort was present. “Lis” or “Ran” typically indicates an earthen structure. “Rath” indicated there was a wooden structure atop the ring. “Cashel” indicates a stone enclosure.

8 Likes

Is Mardale Green visible again?

It looks like it is, according to local news.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/Drought-fears-rise-as-water-levels-drop-0a4c7189-33fd-44ae-b388-11f1b4d76015-ds

4 Likes

MC SLUMPS ONTO STAGE: Awright lads and lasses, that was Welsh Heat Wave. Weren’t they fantastic? Let’s give `em a round of Bronze Potato appreciation.
CROWD: single clap, muted “gerroffastage!”
MC: Outstandin’. Up next is a selection of poetry read and writ by me mum, and the shoe gazing tribute band “Seed Drill”. Be sure to come nex’ Thursday, for UB40!

5 Likes

It’s hard to generalize as tumuli can date from the Neolithicum to the Middle Ages. Most are neolithic, bronze or iron age though. So I’m sorry to note that there were usually no Erdmöbel in Erdwerken (there are exceptions though i.e. treetrunk coffins or cists).

1 Like

I saw this on BB and was wondering when / we would see any here. I do remember reading about aerial surveys in 1976 revealing loads.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/scorched-earth-during-heatwave-reveals-new-monument-at-newgrange-1.3561326?mode=amp

2 Likes

Building a henge? What a fan-tastic idea:

5 Likes