'We're just having a bit of an earthquake here' — New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern in quake on live TV

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/25/jacinda-arden-earthquake.html

‘Quite A Decent Shake Here’

4 Likes

I’m shaking right now!

5 Likes

unnamed

8 Likes
17 Likes

Physically shaken, but mentally not stirred

15 Likes

I was just thinking, man, I would like to have her as my nation’s leader and also, I would like her to be my Mom. Then, I looked her up online and realized I’m 4 years older than her. Fuck, I’m old (and also, she is young to be PM).

9 Likes

Also, I would like my nation to have a leader.

20 Likes

Jacinda is incredibly cool. If anyone missed it, she has had two appearances on Colbert:

New Zealand gets that. And we get this:
7 Likes

Fun story from a few weeks ago, when some orange nutsack was promoting injections of bleach. She was asked at a press conference to respond to that suggestion, and over a barely suppressed giggle replied that it wasn’t worth responding to. Another journalist tried to follow up with “but it’s an important question …” to which Ms. Adern cut in with a raised eyebrow and with a very droll delivery of “Is it?” and just moved on.

Gold.

Edit: I was in a lift when the 5.8 hit and completely missed it. It was a bit confusing to step out of the lift and find everyone under their desks or in doorways :rofl:

15 Likes

I wonder how Tweetolini would have handled it…
Panicked, run offstage, and blamed Obama & Hillary, most likely.

3 Likes

World: OMGpandemicglobalclimatechangewe’reallgonnadie!!!eleventy!11!!
New Zealand PM:

3 Likes

Television was like this once?

1 Like

Official NZ govt quake advice:

1 Like

I imagine it’s easy to empathise with Jacinda - particularly people from countries with demagogues as head-of-state!

I remain skeptical about politicians - particularly the charming ones with great PR!

I remember a similar charming and respected PM called Helen smiling and assuring NZders we would not go to war in Iraq all the while special forces were already conducting operations. Then there was that time she ignored a massive hikoi at Parliament and had a photo op with a merino sheep instead.

I guess my point is that NZ is still a settler colonial society and those flags hanging behind Jacinda are the same ones I see the neo-nazi nationalists waving around when they get together.

Kiwis may not make their kids pledge allegiance to that flag or care if their PM did military service or not but behind the smiling faces it’s still pretty rotten in the halls of power…

2 Likes

I suspect Trump would have toppled over. His balance doesn’t seem to be the best.

4 Likes

Be a bit fair. Ms. Adern has had a pretty rough go: massacre, plague, volcano, plague 2.0. All within the space of a year. She’s handled them all with aplomb. Can you imagine how badly simple simon would have fucked up any one of them, let alone the four hot on each others heels? Even Auntie didn’t really have to deal with any major crisis.

As the saying goes, you’re not a great general till you’ve had to deal with a retreat. Ms Adern has dealt with four now, and led well through all of them.

7 Likes

Ardern Completely Ignores Her Own Government’s Safety Advice, Live On TV

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.