Werewolf By Night looks like the wrong kind of horrifying

I thought Disney had quietly settled this when a number of these series were put on Disney+ in the Marvel category under the header of Legacy Movies and Series along with the Fantastic Four and X-Men films. At the very least I know Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter were placed there. As of now, none of these series appear under the Marvel Cinematic Universe in Timeline Order header, which includes all of the Disney+ series including the I Am Groot shorts (which apparently take place just before Age of Ultron).

Technically Helstrom as well. Everyone forgets Helstrom.

I completely missed this one. Did you watch it and find it worthwhile?

I didn’t mind it. It very heavily leans into “these aren’t superpowers, they’re the side-effects of a curse”, and both Satana and Daimon are depicted (IMO) as people who would find it extraordinarily easy to be evil, but are making almost superhuman efforts to be better than their ancestry dictates.

I don’t know how much of it sinking like a rock was due to it being in any inherent way bad, so much as it was filmed while Covid was in the process of turning from a “oh there’s a thing in China” to a global lockdown, and wasn’t really marketed at all as far as I can tell.

Runaways and Cloak & Dagger came out before Lockdown, so at least they both got multiple seasons, and weren’t just dumped without fanfare on streaming services where nobody would ever find them unless they were specifically looking.

and legion i think. everyone forgets legion

i really enjoyed the first seasons of both of those. and like daredevil, jj, or lc, i think they succeeded in avoiding the mcu’s attention because they were so small

( cloak and dagger is never something we’ll see disney do. and there’s so much there worth telling )

yeah. i think they became canonic only because the cast of daredevil were so unreasonably good. the fans really pushed for their inclusion. it definitely wasn’t planned ahead of time

and while ragnarok ( like @KathyPartdeux says, a straight up comedy ) is my favorite marvel character movie barring only into the spiderverse ( a-mazing ) - i definitely agree not ever mcu movie and show should have to be so wisecracking

that looks so good, precisely because it seems like something new for the mcu. i wish it were for the big screen but i will take the 5 or 6 half-hour episodes and edit them in my mind to the movie it should be

Legion was a Fox production. Not in anyway produced by Marvel. Now, once Disney bought Fox, of course, they gained ownership of that show, but it was not produced by Marvel Studios or Marvel Television, and is thus definitely not part of the MCU.

1 Like

Legion is technically separate from all of that because it was an X-Men property developed prior to the Disney acquisition of Fox. It was an alternate universe adjacent to the alternate universe(s) of the X-Men films. The other two were MCU shows but slept on, in my opinion, due to poor marketing. If only they had tried as hard to market them as they did Inhumans.

1 Like

Marvel has lots of universes to play with, and while many are very different, many are also pretty similar. So the Netflix shows could have been some other multiverse with a set of Avengers and other events identical to (or close enough) to the main MCU’s events that any of the Netflix shows could look like they are part of the MCU, but they just don’t exist int he MCU. Or a subset of them do. Or no-multiverse hijinx, they are in the MCU and canon.

This doesn’t even need to be resolved until some events actually cross over. It is fiction, so until it actually has a story impact it isn’t exactly settled…

(personally I liked the Netflix shows and having them be canon seems like it would be a good thing, but Disney didn’t ask me to decide for them, and I’m a crappy writer, so really, they shouldn’t ask me…)

Great point. That seems pretty settled regardless of whether it needed to be settled.

1 Like

So as far as I can follow the shows were made with the intent of being set in the MCU, the shows reference characters and events in the movies and vice versa, and nothing in any media or any official studio statement contradicts the idea that they are all part of the same narrative universe. So I’m going with Occam’s razor on this one.

3 Likes

Is there another Marvel movie shot in the style of a black and white Hammer Horror film that I’m not aware of? Because “this trailer which in tone and visual style is unlike anything Marvel has put out is a perfect example of how they shoehorn everything into a cookie-cutter format” is not a very convincing take.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.