Wesleyan has a new Inclusive acronym for sexual minorities: lolwut?

Here you are:

From The Essential Handbook of Female Sexuality

Although the term bisexual has been around for decades, its usage has been inconsistent and fraught with conflict. Because the term has the suffix sexual, some find it limiting only to sexual behavior. Others find it too clinical or archaic akin to the term homosexual. Although the homosexual community had adopted the easier-on-the-ears gay and lesbian, the bisexual community has no paralell user-friendly term. In an attemp to de emphasize the sexual aspect, many women simply use bi, which assumes a binary view of gender. The two-ness of bi also might assume that a bisexual person needs two relationships at the same time,or has a 50/50 split on attraction

Of course, that book is primarily about women, and from the limited view that google books is going to show me, I doubt that bicurious men are dealt with.

1 Like

I was thinking that the radfem equivalent would be Lesbian, Political Lesbian, Ex-Het, Gold-Star Lesbian, Gold-Star Political Lesbian, Ex-Trans, etc.

I’m not curious. I’m certain that I’m leaning straight, but find some men very attractive, to the point of having had sex with some of those men. These days I’m pretty much asexual.

I sometimes call myself bi, simply because it’s a comprehensible thing to people. But I’d probably be more accurately described as flexi-sexual or queer, simply because I don’t get a gross-out reaction to anyone’s genitals. It would seem many or most “straight” men seem to be completely grossed out by other dudes dicks and imagining two guys having sex, but I’m not bothered by it or averse to it.

The use of queer is a really sensitive issue. I’m comfortable calling myself queer, but I definitely wouldn’t tell anyone that any offense regarding the term is unfounded. It’s been used as a slur for a long time.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 723 days. New replies are no longer allowed.