West African migrants are kidnapped and sold in Libyan slave markets

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/11/international-organization-for.html

2 Likes

Worse, it’s a complete rip-off. I paid for Libyan slaves, but they shipped me a bunch of Mauritanians and Liberians! And PayPal won’t refund my money!

6 Likes

Thank goodness America® solved the Libya problem!

8 Likes

slave markets

And it’s what 2017?

1 Like

Yet another +cough+ “victory” for neoliberalism.

7 Likes

The only real novelty, possibly neoliberalism induced, is that the labor value of the slaves appears to be low enough that working them to death is more of a side project to encourage swift ransom payment, rather than a business in itself.

Slavery-based togetherness deficiencies between north Africa and sub-saharan Africa are, unfortunately, not even slightly novel

2 Likes

Wait til they find out how much a kidnapped American is worth. It ain’t no 380 pounds!

1 Like

I don’t understand any of the economics involved. What kind of useful work do they have the prisoners doing? Presumably they’re not stamping out license plates or assembling cheap furniture. And how lucrative can it possibly be trying to extract ransom from some of the poorest people on the planet?

Except Ghadafi (Qadaffi, etc. etc.) didn’t allow slavery. He had a different approach to evil.

Try again if you like, but you won’t be able to give neoliberalism a pass on this one.

Look, nobody’s saying that, as it stands, Neo-Liberalist [Human] Trade is a perfect system. Give it time. Most of these slave markets aren’t even incorporated yet!

1 Like

Not yet anyway

If nothing else, Trump has provided further and more definitive proof that there is zero correlation between the march of Time and the progressive enlightenment and humanity of nations.

3 Likes

I guess he’s not talking about Gaddafi:

If I may respectfully object, the situation in Libya is more of a fuck up by France than by the USA.

From the beginning of the intervention, the coalition of Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Italy, Norway, Qatar, Spain, UK and US[277][278][279][280][281] expanded to 17 states. Newer states mostly enforced the no-fly zone and naval blockade or provided military logistical assistance. The effort was initially largely led by the United States.[272] NATO took control of the arms embargo on 23 March, named Operation Unified Protector. An attempt to unify the military command of the air campaign (while keeping political and strategic control with a small group), first failed due to objections by the French, German, and Turkish governments.[282][283] On 24 March, NATO agreed to take control of the no-fly zone, while command of targeting ground units remained with coalition forces.[284]

Correct.

Well, in Dubai for example they use them to build high rises.

edit to add this. Please note how few countries there are with 0% slavery

edit #2 Note: this map does not include legal slavery like we have with prisoners in the U.S… Those slave workers are not counted as slaves for some reason.

3 Likes

Nobody’s building high rises or much of anything else in Libya though. If they are, they’re not building them inside prisons.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.