Westinghouse's 1959 house of the future

One of the more busy, young geeks at work rigged up his vegetable garden’s watering system to monitor soil moisture, deliver water as needed, and he can observe data and said operation on his cellphone.

I wonder if he even knows about Westinghouse.

Actually. I’m surprised that in the video Westinghouse didn’t call them ‘Bodily Sustenance Centers’.

2 Likes

I wonder wheather the house has specialized devices to preserve the precious bodily fluids of the occupants.

2 Likes

2q1a2p9qbpby

I’m (at nearly 50) living in the first apartment I’ve had that had gas. Really, all electric is hardly uncommon. I’ve had to adjust to a gas stove, and while I have to grudgingly admit that it is superior to electric, I think I’m experiencing it at the tail end of its existence – places like San Francisco have even banned it.

2 Likes

That would be the faucets. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh god, I ran in to someone who won of those westeringhouse prizes at an internship I did at IBM. She was working on hard drive read/write heads. The researchers treated her like she walked on water. Perhaps she did.

AECL was thinking small nuclear back in the 70’s and the thoughts along those lines continue.

Heating electrically made sense back when my house was built in 1968 and Ontario had $0.02 kW/h electricity, in today’s values no less. At five to seven times that number, it doesn’t make sense… which is a shame since it is, in theory, so efficient.

I also wouldn’t be caught trying to BBQ in a dinner jacket… BBQ in the middle of the house is a bad idea.:thinking:

I would’ve wanted to get gas for cooking, buy my wife was against it, because of misinformation. However, in the long run it was a good thing, as it turns out that I’m susceptible to whatever they put in the gas to make it smell. Caused a mild headache whenever I’m in a kitchen when gas stoves are on. Bummer.

But electric stoves have come a long way and induction works splendidly for me. Too cheap to spring for it as long as the current stove works, though.

yep, its mentioned in the wiki-entry;

In 1984, Soviet studio Uzbekfilm produced “There Will Come Soft Rains” as a short animated film.[6] (ru)

full:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.