What Amazon's Jeff Bezos thinks about Peter Thiel and Hulk Hogan vs. Gawker

I knew I was a history geek when, after learning about the feud between Burr and Hamilton, I was still angry at Burr two centuries later.

9 Likes

Itā€™s soooo good!!!

1 Like

You mean Valleywag, which is defunct, right?

http://valleywag.gawker.com/r-i-p-valleywag-2006-2015-1750419908

Is he going to hunt down everyone that ever worked there? Maybe personally sue the author of the piece next?

If Thiel wasnā€™t such a douche, another gay man wouldnā€™t have outed him to the public as, basically, a hypocrite who hid his sexuality for business reasons.

I donā€™t generally approve of people being outed but it is hard to shed a tear for a billionaire who is an active prick to the world when he gets his due.

4 Likes

You can respond to a shithead without becoming sleaze yourself. Thielā€™s definitely earned a grudge. Itā€™d be so much easier to be mad at him if these werenā€™t serial tabloid moves.

1 Like
7 Likes

I love that ad. Thereā€™s a Burr St. in my neighborhood (upon which I lived for a while); every time I drive past it I think, ā€œAaon Buh!ā€

4 Likes

Iā€™m impressed you still have the stomach for the comments on the Gawker Empire. I gave up years ago. io9ā€™s comments section has gotten considerably worse since it came under Gizmodoā€™s umbrella Iā€™ve noticed. Iā€™ve seen you fighting the good fight on there, mind. I do believe @waetherman does too. Me, Iā€™ve had enough.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had enough with Gawker too, I just canā€™t seem to quit. I gave up BB awhile ago, though for different reasons. With this latest Thiel feud though, I think Iā€™m going to have to stop supporting Gizmodo and Jalopnik with my eyeballs. Iā€™m going cold turkey on Gawker sites. Which means you might find me 'round here a bit more. Or maybe Iā€™ll find a healthier hobby, like hitting myself in the head with a brick.

6 Likes

Jalopnik went downhill when Gawker bought it, IMO. I liked it when it was fat old punks talking about their horrible old cars (those are my People, you see). Whatever happens to Gawker, Torchinsky should be allowed to continue being Torchinsky as hard as possible, but Iā€™m sure heā€™ll manage to do that just fine.

7 Likes

There are still a few really neat people over there and I donā€™t want to abandon them completely, you know?

But yeah, it HAS definitely gone a bit downhill, especially with the anti-science folks!

2 Likes

As my old Granny used to say, ā€œWhen you seek revenge, dig a mass grave; because, once you get started killing arseholes, it is so difficult to stop.ā€

14 Likes

I managed to quit during the last reorg, when they dropped some of the sub-blogs and folded io9 into Gizmodo.

Reading Kitchenette (especially Behind Closed Ovens) was worth going to Gawker for, and I liked Jezebel as a feminist blog. With Jezebel changed to a generic political blog and Kitchenette gone, there was just, basically, nothing I wanted to go there for anymore, so I dropped the site entirely.

3 Likes

My big problem is I havenā€™t found a good replacement yet.

Of course, I also havenā€™t found what Iā€™d love to find (an IO9 or BoingBoing like site with a great community thatā€™s got a strong nature/neat critters component to it), but Iā€™m not even sure that exists.

I agree. So why donā€™t we make it? I had an idea awhile back to get the best commenters here to start a tech site together. Never did anything with that idea, but if others think itā€™s a good one, Iā€™d be willing to pitch in to the formation.

3 Likes

A truly seminal ad. Directed by none other than Michael Bay.

2 Likes

That is a VERY timely idea! Iā€™ll add that Iā€™m in the process of having somebody put together a couple of web sites for me and Iā€™d happily re-allocate some resources to help!

4 Likes

At what point did Bezos become Lex Luthorā€™s doppelganger?

2 Likes

Should we move this to another thread?

1 Like

Lead the way! Letā€™s plot :wink:

1 Like

I canā€™t believe thereā€™s not an Amazon affiliate link in this thread. Surely Bezos has written these gems down in purchasable book form?

Bezos mumbling platitudes about freedom of speech is about as difficult and as praiseworthy for him as Donald Trump defending your right to buy extra-strength hairspray. Free speech maintains his billions, not threatens them. Heā€™s in the business of selling free speech. Of course heā€™s a defender of it.

Now letā€™s hear him defend collective bargaining rights, or living wage laws, or the duty of the government to ensure workplace safety, or class-action lawsuits and judicial proceedings in public courts, or financial disclosure and transparency laws.

ā€¦Jeff? Still there? You were telling us all about our freedoms and then it suddenly got quiet.

5 Likes