What are these strange metal spheres that fell from the sky in India?

Originally published at: What are these strange metal spheres that fell from the sky in India? | Boing Boing

6 Likes

A harbinger of things to come, today.

8 Likes

Seriously, I thought we had debunked this as space junk. Every time metal spheres fall from the sky BoingBoing and the media in general just lose their doo-doo.

“OMG what is this STRANGE phenomenon? I would google it from last time it happened a couple of years ago in Vietnam, and the year before in Peru, etc. and find the answers, but I doubt it’s EVER happened before!!!”

7 Likes

Obligs:

1 in 3,200. Okay, so far Lottie Williams is the only person to claim being hit by space junk, but we’re only making the problem worse for everyone in the future.

9 Likes

Jeez, I hope it’s not a hydrazine tank. Hydrazine is incredibly toxic and volatile. It’s the #1 reason why you should never ever go near space debris. Your organs will thank you.

Symptoms of acute (short-term) exposure to high levels of hydrazine may include irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, dizziness, headache, nausea, pulmonary edema, seizures, and coma in humans. Acute exposure can also damage the liver, kidneys, and central nervous system in humans. The liquid is corrosive and may produce dermatitis from skin contact in humans and animals. Effects to the lungs, liver, spleen, and thyroid have been reported in animals chronically (long-term) exposed to hydrazine via inhalation.

15 Likes

I think we should take a cue from this video and make it a cultural norm to have a funk or maybe even a mariachi band accompany all presentations of important discoveries.

4 Likes

No one would have believed, in the last years of the nineteenth century, that human affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds of space. No one could have dreamed we were being scrutinized, as someone with a microscope studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. Few men even considered the possibility of life on other planets and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely, they drew their plans against us.

But also, they were really tiny.

9 Likes

Bolly bearings?

4 Likes

That either deserves all the upvotes ever, or a permanent ban. Can’t decide which.

2 Likes

nearest thing’ame is a contraption from a chemistry laboratory which spins …some would say it’s not rocket science

I know the odds of getting dinged by one of these, or other re-entry debris, is very small. But, how dang tragic this would be?!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.