What colors are the planets, exactly?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/04/what-colors-are-the-planets-exactly.html

2 Likes

But what do they smell like? (Obligatory crosspost)

3 Likes

Puts a very different spin on earth tones.

3 Likes

‘This, obviously, doesn’t capture how awesome some of these bodies look. For example, Callisto’s averaged-out opaque couche does no justice to the real deal:’

Ummmm… that’s a colour-enhanced, extra-contrasty picture of Callisto.

I would absolutely use that as my color palette in a house if I were painting. Very soothing and coordinated.

1 Like

Let this be a lesson to you. Flyby missions and Orbiters are the best way to see thhe planets as they really are, and not just paint chips in the sky,

For instance, here’s Uranus, as imaged by Voyager 2.

GORGEOUS. Just look at that fine detail!

2 Likes

Looks bleached.

1 Like

For the life of me, I can’t recall who wrote this… “His violin played the fragrance of the Moon”… but here it is, anyway (I believe by a South American writer/poet of magical-realism)

Oh, and there’s this:

2 Likes

Wow, what’s next? To get astronauts ready for long missions to the ISS or Mars, will there be Eau de Spacesuit?
:dizzy_face: :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Based on writer Mary Roach’s interview of International Space Station astronauts (for Packing for Mars), the interior of the ISS has the smelly fragrance of boys’ gym socks.

All kidding aside, those are the kinds of colors Martha Stewart would have chosen for her interiors. (Before she turned insider trader, we referenced her interiors for colors when we first did up our place. Part of her palette was based on bird eggs, most of which are muted.)

2 Likes

So Earth is the Lavender Planet

Someone tell Major Tom - that’s a hard rhyme to pull off

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.