What commercial do you hate the most?

Whoever came up with that earworm (in the Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan sense) has a VIP parking spot reserved for them in hell when they die.

3 Likes

Kars 4 Kids: bad jingle, bad non-profit

4 Likes

It’s fairly straightforward: install Adblock Plus on your browser, and only view YouTube through the browser. Never use, or even install, a dedicated YouTube app.

3 Likes

Any commercial that rewrites the lyrics to pop songs can go fuck itself. I boycotted Cadbury’s for years for messing with “Wouldn’t it Be Nice?”. My efforts seemed to have paid off, as the ads are no longer being aired.

2 Likes

I’m going to go the opposite direction and focus on the commercial I love the most. This one came out nearly 20 years ago but it still stirs up warm feelings.

9 Likes

What kind of masochists are we to review and commiserate over terrible ads?

3 Likes

11 Likes

For the record, Asheville NC is a wonderful place, except for one store. Truly beautiful, in the Smoky Mountains, great food, hippie vibe, the Biltmore to visit as a total change of pace.

That must be one awful ad, to override all that.

5 Likes

I use a VPN and appear to the world like I’m in Angola, get served all sorts of Japanese commercials. Can’t understand a word or what they’re selling, but damn they are loud and annoying.

Enjoy my PiHole but took AdBlock off the desktop… think I’ll install that again. A 10 second commercial is somewhat OK but when they run for minutes I can’t take it.

1 Like

Prescription drug ads are a uniquely twisted and disgusting American phenomenon. Most Americans I’ve spoken to about this don’t realize this doesn’t happen in other countries. The rest of the civilized world agrees that advertising medical services of any type is unethical. In fact, it’s often illegal. My dad’s veterinary practice was allowed no more than a single line entry in the yellow pages because all medical advertising is banned here. As it should be- health and medicine are scientific endeavors and decisions in this area should not be made based on marketing.

15 Likes

Hahahaha yes, every ASPCA ad, the moment a plaintive note sounds, I just mute/turn away. Too much!

Geico ads with the gecko are awful, but I have enjoyed a lot of their silly ads, including this one that’s hotly contested on this subreddit.

7 Likes

Any ad on websites that I frequent that disguises itself as an article, review, or personal recommendation but is actually just a cleverly designed/written sponsored post that I would have avoided if it had a clickbaity title. Sorry if this hits close to home, BoingBoing.

9 Likes

and the cringe inducing copy describing items on sale now!

1 Like

Worst. Commercial. Ever.

4 Likes

The only “commercials” I truly hate are the clickbait things that appear below or on sidebars for stuff I read online.

“Harrison Ford has disowned his son, see why!”

“They wish they’d never entered this mysterious cave.”

“Gut doctor says ‘I beg Americans to throw away this vegetable now!’”

“Robin Williams final net worth stuns his family.”

“Remember her? You won’t believe what she looks like now!”

And almost always with a shocking photo of some kind.

TV commercials I can switch off the sound or surf to another channel, these things always grab my eye and make me want to punch the screen.

13 Likes

this commercial just makes me sad because it reminds me of how nick drake died, probably by suicide, thinking he had failed as a musician, and this commercial made his record sales take off.

4 Likes

A little background:
I have a BA in Advertising and a minor in Marketing.

I worked in the industry from 1995 to 2001, on the media buying/planning side of things. Even got my name mentioned in a magazine for one of my campaigns. I got my degree because at the time, I loved advertising (more than the actual programming on TV). After the market crashed in 2001 I left the industry for good due to it’s toxic nature. At 25 with a newborn, I was considered the “old guy” at the firm and had the nickname Grizzly Adams.

Since 2001 I’ve been ad free. Both online and by cutting the cord. Even ad free sat radio. It’s not too hard to do once you stop “watching TV” and simply watching the shows you want online.

Oh, by the way, the commercials for Quiznos with the roadkill mascots was disturbing…

4 Likes

The punchable gentleman hawking chemical free bespoke soaps who tells me my soap and shampoo are shit. Definitely needs his mouth washed out.

The worst of 1986:

I’ve been on YouTube Premium for so long, I forget what commercials are like. I really don’t see many unless I’m on a local news site.

2 Likes