What commercial do you hate the most?

I hate how it is the same, damn, commercials, every, damn, time.

And hey, pearl-clutching anti-drug scam run by nicotine companies: nothing you tell me about vaping is a bigger disincentive than the kind of people who vape.

I bristle at the implication that ads are “good” or “bad” depending what’s in them. Doesn’t anyone even skim-read Marshal McLuhan’s Understanding Media any more?

The ad industry is a swarm of tireless goblins who crawl over you in a pawing, greasy tide, hastily jamming their propaganda maggots into any unguarded mouth, nostril or other orifice they see. It makes little difference whether the unwashed finger they use to do the jamming is well-manicured or not.

A (very) few ads have some merit in their own right, like the Levi’s Ansel Adams spot, or the Quizno’s ads by Cyriak that everyone seems to hate. But that doesn’t mitigate the offence when they’re used as ads, in fact if anything it highlights the obscenity.

Until you have been clean for a few years, you cannot truly appreciate just how repulsive an ad break really is.

4 Likes

What is this magical place you speak of? I want to go to there!

2 Likes

You make a good point.

My wife and I were “cord-cutters” before there was even a term for it. Basically, the instant we realized we could enjoy our media digitally, ad-free, on a subscription basis we canceled our cable TV services and went Internet-only.

It is extremely jarring to be confronted with traditional ad-based television now. When we visit our parents, or join friends for a big televised sportsball event or something, the exposure of commercials to my eyeballs & earholes is nothing short of violent, invasive, and traumatic. When you haven’t seen an ad break in a year, it’s really, really crazy to see them with the frequency that everyone else has to deal with daily.

They are SO fucking loud, and SO fucking repetitive, and SO fucking insulting and condescending to the audience. And, as someone else mentioned here, ads for things like prescription drugs are awful simply on a moral/ethical basis.

Repulsive is exactly the right word.

2 Likes

everyone of those embedded ad clips just auto played for me :crying_cat_face:

2 Likes

Don’t use ABP. It sells your data to ad networks and uses more memory and cpu than necessary.

uBlock Origin is much better.

Additionally, Youtube Vanced for android cuts out ads, has sponsorblock integration, and lets you play videos and music on youtube with the screen off for free. And what’s better is that it has all the same features and usability of the native YouTube app.

If you’re using an iPhone there is no free or easy way to block ads. Sorry, but Apple thinks that adblocking is a fundamental misuse of their hardware you bought from them.

7 Likes

I keep getting this one on youtube lately:

It’s basically an add for ED-209s as far as I can tell.
Or maybe Aperture Science Sentry Turrets:

OMG, THIS. THIIIIIIIS.

Expletive deleted earworm.

Thank you! I’ve been wanting a way to deal with this issue for a long time. This looks like it’ll work nicely.

1 Like

In all seriousness, did you mean “Android phone” and “Google” respectively? On iOS, ad-blocking has been supported at the system level for years. I currently use (checks phone) Crystal and Hush, and I never see ads on YouTube / BingBong / etc.

Nick Drake definitely died far too soon but I’m glad this ad was able to share his magic with millions. On YouTube there’s an old scratchy home recording of Hazey Jane that is one of the best things ever.

All the adblocking solutions I’ve seen for apple cost money, so stuff must have changed over the last few years.

I don’t use apple stuff.

But I do know requiring people to pay a yearly license to develop software for your device is far more restrictive than letting anyone with a computer write software for it for free.

1-877-kars4kids.

After years of having to listen to that horrible thing, I know that I would rather push my car off a cliff than give it to those kids.

In fact, I would rather DRIVE my car off a cliff than give it to those kids.

1 Like

The one that goes embarrassingly over the top to fool you into to thinking you really can’t live without that thing that you’ve happily been living without and could probably do much better without anyway. Damn. What is that thing? Right on the tip of my tongue… Damn!

1 Like

Me. Kidd hates rap, and despises this commercial. I think it’s kinda cute. I appreciate the ‘mortifying the teenager’ aspect and the parents cutting loose.

@Professor59: The commercial I’m most weary of has been airing my entire life, and I thought I was finally rid of it when I moved to Michigan and WGN became a generic cable channel instead of an ultra-strong UHF channel that emanates far from it’s home in Chicago. “588-2300, Empire” :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

6 Likes

Actually, unless Quiznos got Cyriak to make some, the Spongmonkeys are by Joel Veitch (rathergood.com)

QFT!!

4 Likes

I was partial to the VW commercial with Trio:

3 Likes

And the Microsoft parody.

3 Likes

I will get you for that earworm!

2 Likes

I actually love the Sponge Monkeys - all of Joel Veitch’s (the guy who made this ad for Quiznos) stuff cracks me up.

It’s the Quizno’s ad where Jim Parsons suckled the mother wolf that creeped me out.

1 Like