What did you want to be when you grew up?

The difference being, of course, that you actually support yourself as an artist.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have always had a ‘day job’ that I can’t afford to quit.

11 Likes

Adopt Best Friends GIF by Best Friends Animal Society

10 Likes

Thank You So Much GIF by Paw-Berries

10 Likes

I wanted to play third base for the Cubs (still do at times), then I wanted to be a vet, then I wanted to be a brain surgeon, then I wanted to be a brain researcher, then I wanted to be a beach bum, now I want to be a roboticist

I settled on a job (researcher) that starts whenever I happen to get there, ends whenever I leave and in between the boss doesn’t tell me what to do, and some days I even leave before 7pm, so not many complaints

15 Likes

Season 3 Abc GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

And as long as you’re good with your boss, you have the regular paycheck I don’t have. I really envy the steady paycheck now that I’m on the outside. :grimacing:

I really wish better for both of us. :crossed_fingers:

12 Likes

No idea how I got the idea but I wanted to train dolphins-on Mars. Then I misspent my youth in the theatre before ending up at culinary school and being a baker. I knew I wasn’t interested in any job that required you to wear pantyhose everyday.

9 Likes

It’s nice to know I share a birthday with better folk than just trump.
Happy Birthday GIF

8 Likes

Peekaboo Dragons' Den GIF by CBC

I remember wanting to be…a taxidermist.

Yeah, I really have moved on from my upbringing.

12 Likes

Despite her misgivings about making it up and back in one piece, my wife has graciously given me permission that if I win the lottery I can buy a launch to space on one of those tourist rides. So now to get to work on winning that lottery… :wink:

2 Likes

Cheers!

Me too.

Celebrate Happy Birthday GIF

9 Likes

Same here.

:crossed_fingers:t5:

10 Likes

Do we not have a Birthdays thread on BB?

(Cake does not count.)

We are remiss!

Anyhoos:

8 Likes

And to you, too!

Happy Birthday GIF by wishafriend

12 Likes

and @subextraordinaire

12 Likes

I did not want to be an astronaut, a doctor or an artist.

All I wanted to be as a kid was a Native American.

I always thought (still think) they were the good guys in western movies, and loved the closeness to nature of their life (still do). I was reading books and watching documentaries, though a lot of stuff I knew about the various nations and their history has slipped from memory…

I soon realized this was not going to happen, so I decided I was going to be an Electronic Engineer, which I am, both for workš and hobby.
Now that I just stepped over the threshold of being closer to my first century than my twenties, I’m still having fun with that.

š If you use a mobile phone or used a landline in past years there a non-zero chance you are using something I coded, designed or even invented - this still gives me a bit of pride.

12 Likes

As far back as I can remember, I wanted to be a scientist. I love learning things, and the idea that there are things we don’t understand just bugs me. After a while, I decided that being a doctor would let me do that and still help people. And so I did. And have had a life where I can honestly say I have touched thousands of lives and made things better. Now my goal is to be my wife’s arm candy. Still working on that one. :rofl:

18 Likes

I wanted to be a cop when I was a kid until I discovered that making video games was a career. I kept that goal until what was supposed to be my last year in high school (I was on track to finish early) where I discovered I was really bad at high level math and, sadly, computer programming.

Luckily, around the same time, I realized I was pretty good with words. I figured I might as well try being a writer. Looking back, I probably wanted to be a writer the whole time, but no one ever suggested it as a possible career. It never occurred to me that it was something I could do.

I’m glad I realized it, though, because it’s a good way to spend your time.

15 Likes

A teacher, and specifically a history teacher, for as long as I can remember. It worked out. Side trips for a lot of other gigs, though. A lot of other gigs along the way, that I think helped me out a lot.

14 Likes

I enjoyed a variety of music, art, poetry, dance, reading, and writing since childhood. My grandmother hosted parties with relatives and friends who performed for attendees, while we enjoyed good food and discussions about political and cultural topics. So I wanted to pursue a degree in Poli-sci and French before becoming a kind of salonnière working in DC or Europe.

I changed course with my degree after interning in government at the federal level and working at the state level. :weary: The rise of the Tea Party led me to focus more on languages. So, I pivoted to computing for my major and French for my minor (science and gaming were among my hobbies until that point). :nerd_face: Worked as a techie for decades instead and planned parties or traveled in my spare time. :thinking: Gotta figure out how to have virtual gatherings with better audio until I can get back into in-person events.

jada pinkett smith brunch GIF by Girls Trip

16 Likes

John Mulaney Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

9 Likes