What do you do when you've got a plumbing clog?

What did the DEA tell you and why would you imply someone in my house might have flushed packets of m—

Oh. Pockets of Meth-ane.

6 Likes

For when you are hungry, but also need to meticulously clean your bathroom:

Meth Pockets!

5 Likes

Thank you. I am not a plumber… But I should be by now.

And if you have to clean your lines regularly, open up your walls/floors/ground and fix the problem.

(Digging up my backyard here soon, Orangeburg pipe is satanic)

1 Like

I do all my own plumbing, including gas plumbing. I have a lot of plumbing tools.

Roto-rooter. Seriously. Then install the lint filter somebody else mentioned.

No. If you haven’t got either one, though, you can consider them the same thing.

Anyway, answering the question “what do you do when you’ve got a plumbing clog?”

I have an old rubber plunger that I mounted a steel schraeder valve in decades ago. I put the plunger over the drain, hold it tight by the handle, and hit the valve with a couple hundred psi of compressed air.

You should not ever do this. You could be killed, I imagine. But it’s what I do, and it works great for me. In theory, if the blockage is too solid to move out of the way, the rubber plunger will flatulently release the pressure before the pipes actually explode. In practice, well, I’ve never had a blockage that didn’t just blast right down into the sewer main. Nonetheless, don’t do this.

12 Likes

Open cesspool or under ground cistern?

If it is a cistern, I have advice, but it requires a long stick and some dynamite.

^^ This is totally worth 11min of your time if you like to laugh.

6 Likes

There was a drain in the floor of your living room?

EDIT: I missed the line about the basement apartment. It makes sense now.

1 Like

Make sure you keep that primed. If you have a floor drain in your living room, I am sure you know what I mean.

3 Likes

This made me laugh.

I am not exaggerating, if I did this it would take out a tree. And I even know which one :smiley: Aren’t old pipes… A blast?

Best thing for clear pipes: comb your hair before a shower, remove any garbage disposals, and make kids use their friends house as a restroom.

5 Likes

11 Likes

Having lived in several basement flats I’m still confused!

It is almost certainly poor environmental taste; but a zesty hit of copper ions can really discourage most plants from further snacking attempts. At least for a while, depending on whether they survive or not.

2 Likes

Next time you use that plumber’s snake attach two ty-wraps to the coils at the middle of the bulbous end/tip of the snake. Point their tails towards the center of the bulb so they stick out the other side - the coil on the other side will help keep them where your want them.

Now use the snake. The ty-wrap tails will gently sweep the inside of the pipe as the snake rotates. I had one drain pipe that I had to snake at least twice a year. After doing this, it’s remained clog-free since I’ve done this a year and a half ago.

1 Like

I am going to have to try this and probably this weekend.

1 Like

You can make these out of large zip ties, bringing the $5 price down to something like $0.20 each.

Instructables Link

1 Like

Apparently I’m the only one in my company that understands this concept – the building manager doesn’t, the janitors don’t (and it’s been the same for most of the companies I’ve worked at). When I start smelling sewer gas, I’ll grab a pitcher of di-hydrogen monoxide and top off the floor drains.

Btw, sewer odor comes in two scents: hydrogen sulfide and asparagus pee.

6 Likes

It was indeed. Guy can spin a yarn.

DO NOT FLUSH SABOTS.

6 Likes

Switch to a new sink. When all available sinks are clogged, wash hands, etc. in the shower. If this becomes clogged, move.

6 Likes

It’s def just the one drain. Snaking helps but I’d like to find a permanent solution because it happens any time I do a lot of laundry. And some days it’s just laundry day.

Think I’ll try the drain filter. Any recommendations?

Any recommendations?