What do you want to do with your life?

Hey, I’m trying to maintain a little positivity!

6 Likes

I’d like for my wife to know how much she means to me, which I assume will require some effort on my part. I would also like to be a good dad. I mean, I hope my kids already think I’m a good dad, but I hope I can do a lot better, too.

Also, I’d like to throw the ball to the dog more. And get scratched less by the cat.

18 Likes

I like you.

8 Likes

I like you back.

7 Likes

10 Likes

A strikingly well-timed question. I have pretty much achieved my life goals (with the exception of my childhood dream of becoming captain of a nuclear submarine) so what now?

I want to simplify, declutter, and eliminate stress. I want to have a group of friends like I did in high school and college again. We lost that simple, easy camaraderie when we all went off to focus on work and families. I want to read more, draw more, and play more - the things I did when I was younger.

Even with a decent-paying job, I probably won’t be able to afford to retire until 100 years after I die, but nonetheless, I’m going to find ways to ease back a bit, relax, and enjoy life.

10 Likes
2 Likes

I find that oddly liberating. Many people don’t make it to their 70th birthday, and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to afford a decent retirement if I do go beyond that. There’s no carrot on the end of the stick saying I can enjoy a comfortable old age, so I’m not going to bother worrying about it too much. Enjoy your life now, don’t wait.

5 Likes

I like your back. Wait, that’s not right, is it?

7 Likes

I want all those things too. You could run for President with this platform. The President of Awesomeness. :smiley_cat: Maybe there could be an institutional rite of passage like high school or college for adults who want to transition from intense work to humane community (more shared costs, public spaces, scalable, linked …)

6 Likes

I want to sell my goddamned house so we can settle the divorce. My life is essentially on hold.

Then…

I want to buy a bus and convert it into a tiny home / RV, then spend the next couple years doing street art in NH or the Maine coast for the summer, and heading to Daytona or New Orleans for the winter.

After I build up some cash reserves, spend a year driving across America, maybe winter in the Caribbean a couple years, and buy a small plot of land up here to plant a yurt on.

As luck would have it, being a musician, freelancer, and having 15 years in the hotel industry makes large chunks of this easier. I just wish I’d done it when I was 22 instead of 42- The 30 or so years I have left aren’t enough to see everything I want to see.

Also, to finish my book.

18 Likes
  1. Trying to keep a long story short: I was in a pagan group for close to two decades, and left it a few years ago due to (A) peoples’ drama (cumulatively wearing me down, and also a major explosion that affected everyone) and (B) feeling like the group couldn’t do anything for its more experienced/advanced people because it was too busy teaching basics and putting out fires. However, it was not all bad, and I miss the good stuff. I’ve fallen out of regular magical/spiritual/religious practices and I am just not feeling the same wonder I used to, and I want that back (without the drama).

2. I’m pretty tired of the daily grind. I have been for a while, and it doesn’t seem likely I will grow less tired of it without some kind of change. What I’m not tired of is making music and playing video games. However, I know that to pay the bills making music means either extreme luck, or a lot of hard work on self-promotion and other things I dislike and don’t even want to try. So there’s that.

I kind of miss working in the games industry, but I also kind of don’t (that’s its own daily grind). Where I am now is often boring but the management is sane, respects its employees and pays well. I’ve come to value having at least some financial stability, even though retiremnt seems questionable.

So I guess 2 is kind of a big “I don’t know, really.”

10 Likes

I’ve never been particularly spiritual, but I do go bonkers for wonder. The feeling of, “whhuuuuUUUUUUHHhhhh…?” Is perhaps my favorite feeling in the world.

I remember one time I met a tree west of Portland. The only way I can put it was that was the perfectly correct tree for that moment. Also, it happened to be the largest Sitka Spruce on the planet :smiley:

I promise, for #1, wonder will come back.

10 Likes

:smiley: Technically I guess I could try the harmonica, my mom gave me hers. I’m an out-of-practice sax player who recently became enamored with the ukulele.

2 Likes

There’s a punch-line somewhere trying to find this set-up.

9 Likes

First I want to get well.

Then I want to get grs, and start/complete a bloodless revolution resulting in a free and equal society where the accumulation of massive amounts of capital does not result in massive amounts of power. These can happen in either order.

Then I want to disappear into a quiet life making cool things just for the sake of making them.

11 Likes

Where do I sign up?

3 Likes

Figure out what to do with my life. Again, and again.

9 Likes

Count me in please.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t Getting Well in itself be nice? I only have gout, general arthritis, kidney stones, gall stones, BP , depression, and anxiety to deal with on a daily basis.

Wait, wouldn’t anxiety largely be covered by knowing the rest would be fine without intrusive tests?

Its maddening. Just give me the damn lisiniprol and alloprurinol without being embarrassed by the damn tests that are the same every damn time.

I’m
Not
Bitter

(I’m bitter)

6 Likes