What do you want to do with your life?

If I’m really honest, I think I mostly want to get a full night’s sleep more than once every other year or so. Even once a week would be amazing.

12 Likes

It is overrated, well the yard bit anyway. House is a money suck but at least for me cheaper than an apartment right now.

3 Likes

You’ve been playing the harmonica too much.

7 Likes

We achieved this goal last year - our combined commute is fifteen minutes by bike per day. We moved to Germany partly for the work-life balance too, as being home from work at 4pm and having six weeks of leave every year is nice (I don’t get that as a freelancer, but theoretically I can take a break whenever I like). Humane working standards are actually compatible with a successful country, apparently. If the rest of the family could just not be sick all the time, we could actually enjoy that time off…

Yep. Public parks FTW.

5 Likes

But those have the public in them, eww.

6 Likes

!!! nice work!
i’ve gone from 60/75 min drive there/back 5x a week several years ago to 45/60 there/back 3x a week + 2 work from home days now. this year i’m removing one of those 3 long commute days to a 5 mile bike commute to another office.
so, 11.25 hours driving a week down to 3-5 driving + some biking. last year in the warm weather/lots of sunlight months i biked the long commute a few times. that 1:40 biking was so much better than the 60 min driving.
wife-to-be bikes/buses/trains 80% of the time. we have 2 cars, but another “what do you want to do” answer is getting that down to 1 as soon as it makes the most sense.

5 Likes

15 Likes

10 Likes

I want to write stories. I mean, I am doing that right now, but I hope to be paid for it one day.

14 Likes

We were talking about this at lunch…
After hearing stories about my co-worker’s son’s fascination with trucks-n-heavy-equipment, I was thinking that it would be fun (but awfully wasteful) to buy a gravel pit and set it up with heavy equipment as a giant sandbox for grown-ups. (Perhaps add in a trebuchet or three).
My wife suggested that the most likely scenario for me was “odd reclusive art person” like the rest of my family…
So, perhaps street art is the life for me:

16 Likes

some odd art person kinda beat you to it. his other creation is place of mutant wonder!

1 Like
On September 26, 2011, Cassilly was killed at the Cementland site after the bulldozer he was driving flipped down a hill.
The thought that killed my urge for an adult sandbox almost as soon as it was born.

A woman who inspects our facility was going to St Louis and asked if I knew of anything interesting there — told her to check out the City Museum (never checked to see if she did).

I think that building something like Watts Towers or The Garden of Eden has been written in my destiny since moments after conception…

3 Likes

I make it a point to visit there every trip back to my parents. It is just a wonderful place.
DSC03958 well at least if you are not afraid of heights…

2 Likes

I assume that one should also have a recent tetanus shot?

Ha, that pic made me freak out a little bit!

The view down the wire-whatever-that-is is reminiscent for me of what you see when crawling through rolled razor-wire if you look up or down the roll when passing through! I thought someone was really setting that kid up the bomb! (of cruelty)

3 Likes

Figured that it must exist – not too keen on their “focus on safety”

3 Likes

Nah they do a great job of keeping things clean and not sharp. Head clearance well that is another story. My first visit there I bonked myself more than once and it isn’t like I am all that tall (5’11ish).

Well it is like fourish stories above ground but quite stable and solid even with my 200lb self crawling through it.

1 Like

I have bad news for you…

3 Likes

At least you are looking in the right place.

14 Likes