What does "woke" really mean? Republicans are stumped, but they confidently define it anyway (video)

Originally published at: What does "woke" really mean? Republicans are stumped, but they confidently define it anyway (video) | Boing Boing

4 Likes

So I guess the opposite of ‘woke’ is something akin to being in an intellectual stupor?

Sounds about right…

15 Likes

Those assholes have just the one song.

I’m going to keep using that meme until they get a new act.

22 Likes

My thoughts exactly! I vote for “sleepy”.

1 Like

When conservatives start to sound like old ads for psych meds:

8 Likes

Is woke even that hard to define? It is pro equality, and being socially and politically conscious and progressive. There, i did it.

10 Likes

Even simpler, it kinda just means “know your history, don’t deny the ugly parts” right?

They’re just trying to be shitheads about unintended/intended consequences of a stated political belief. Which is real fucking rich for the party trying to pass off their terrorism as “we love you [trans children] the way you are”, “Jesus is Love” and “Pro-Life.”

14 Likes

To add just a bit; also to be on swivel day to day lest the ugly parts try to bite you.

3 Likes

To simplify it even further, I tell my Dad every time he reads the word “woke” in the fuck-bastard-awful Daily Mail, to replace it with the word “respectful”.

“Woke militia” works for them.
“Respectful militia” works better.

5 Likes

10 Likes

It’s now a lazy and unoriginal buzzword for lazy and unoriginal minds.

10 Likes

By that definition, Jesus (as written in the Bible, not as some of the self-proclaimed “Christians” paint Him) was woke. But Republicans would do mental backflips to avoid admitting that.

I wonder how DeSantis or other Republican politicians would react if you said “Based on the way you use the term ‘woke’ and the way His words and actions are recorded in the Bible, Jesus seems pretty woke. How do you decry wokeness while still claiming to be Christian?”

12 Likes

Jesus and his teachings are 100% everything Republicans rail against. He’s anti-consumerism, is all about social work, building up communities and helping the most disenfranchised and needy, etc. It’s always the folks clutching their pearls the hardest that are the ones that are guilty of whatever they are afraid of.

12 Likes

A good 1-to-1 could be: woke = conscientious.

5 Likes

He also says to pay your taxes. Another thing the GQP reflexively avoids.

7 Likes

At the risk of being pedantic, the original usage of “woke” described a state of mind, of waking up to to reality, and not accepting a whitewashed version of things, correct?. Unlike “Political Correctness” Woke isn’t, or at least wasn’t a code of conduct. Of course, the GOP had such rousing success with their anti-PC campgaign, they can’t help but trun “woke” into a racsim-inflected PC 2.0. The most apt comparison would be the original “red pill” but boy toxic assholes really killed that one dead.

2 Likes

When “wake up sheeple” is projection, it turns out being “woke” is problematic.

3 Likes
  • Politically correct
  • Social Justice Warrior
  • Woke
  • Groomer

They actively workshop to see what can be the most knee-jerk reactive to get people incensed, then hang on that until it stops having its sting and people stop being so worried about it, then they move on to the next.

5 Likes

I’m sure this’ll change some minds!

2 Likes

The last 100 years of Christianity has been the conservatives trying to kill the social gospel and liberation theology.

If Jesus appeared in Florida today the Republicans would sentence him to death before the end of the week.

7 Likes