What exactly is the Thin Blue Line bullet glass suggesting?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/05/thin-blue-line-glasses-inadver.html

6 Likes

As with comedy, there’s something about conservatism that blunts the ability to design things cleverly.

25 Likes

I doubt that’s dishwasher-safe.

8 Likes

Or microwave safe. Not that the right-wing yahoos who buy these won’t end up trying both.

9 Likes

That would be more exciting with the full cartridge.

18 Likes

Mmmmmm-mmm; copper-jacketed lead poisoning!

4 Likes

44 Likes

The Secret Santa organized by my fairly conservative stepsister was full of shit like this. Cheap merch with various renditions of the US flag and associated macho bullshit on it. I wanted the flask, because I chuckled at the implication that looking at the flag was a reminder of why I needed alcohol on me at all times.

17 Likes

“Gun fetishes are ridiculous” comes to mind.

3 Likes

What exactly is the Thin Blue Line bullet glass suggesting?

That the Police in the USA can kill whomever they please, and see little to no recourse for their actions.

12 Likes

It’s suggesting nothing. Those bullet-in-a-glass things are a common novelty, and once you have something like that you plaster all sorts of logos and labels on them with out a thought. Similar to the other post on here with black ornaments, it is people being thoughtless about other potential meanings. So if you hate cops and wanna see them all shot in the street, these glass might be for you. Or not. YMMV.

“Yo dog, we heard you like cops and guns, so we got a glass with cops on it, and put a bullet from a gun in there. So you can shotgun your drink, while you’re thinking about cops and guns!”

^^^ “It’s an old meme, but it checks out.”

4 Likes

The scotch is more powerful than the copper?

6 Likes

Novelty aside, pairing a bullet with a Blue Lives Matter logo for ANY commercial product is extremely fucking “suggestive.”

To me, a Black woman, it signifies this kind of message:

Not only can the police kill me with impunity and no negative consequences, they’d probably go have a drink afterward.

17 Likes

I am fairly old fashioned about this (pun intended)…drink from a proper heavy bottom rocks glass. and nothing else.

6 Likes

Could it also suggest shooting cops?

2 Likes

7 Likes

I’m thinking friendly fire.

“Hey look! Bob shot his partner again!” “Guess who get’s the bullet tumbler today guys?”

It’s in poor taste regardless. The glass.

8 Likes

Poor Brett Bunsen.

3 Likes

Or airline safe.

3 Likes

Goddammit Archer!

3 Likes