What happened to pleated pants?

I don’t know… the fashions improved…

And also… Ambassador Troi was always the height of fashion…

I’d walk around in half her dresses every day, if I thought I could get away with it like she could…

13 Likes

I do not miss pleated pants or standard cut dress shirts… They bulged in all the wrong places.

All the pleats from my workwear seem to have navigated to my martial arts clothes. If hakama were acceptable office wear here I would go for it. The one mens wear application of pleats that is comfortable and not hideous.

14 Likes

That and kilts.

14 Likes

After enduring all the indignities of 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, and early-Ought’s mistakes in fashion, we’ve finally reached a place in the history of couture pour l’homme where men’s pants are consistently styled well. So much so that I haven’t worn a pair of jeans in three years except to work on the car. Why the hell would anyone want to go back to pleats? The worst were all the suits I bought in the 80’s with pleated pants and cuffs. They scream Reagan-era yuppie conformity.

6 Likes

Didn’t watch but most of my trousers are Dockers pleated, relaxed fit, khakis, they’ve reliably accommodated my fat ass for ~20 years. The “relaxed fit” is the more important aspect but I generally found the pleated varieties a better fit that flat front. I haven’t noticed them creating more of a fake-boner tent than non-pleated ones.

3 Likes

6 Likes

I’m 6’ tall, have weighed ~140 pounds consistently since I was 17, and I graduated HS in ‘86. (Just to establish my “thin frame” and “already lived through it once” cred.) I have always hated pleated pants. If they bring those suckers back I’m going to start dressing like Joe Strummer in the 80’s again, just to be a pain in the ass.

8 Likes

The whole slim-fit clothing thing is just horrible. Even if I wasn’t a chubby and above middle-aged dude there are times when I can’t even get a shirt allegedly in my size around my shoulders. I’m convinced it’s just a ploy by manufacturers to use less fabric. And don’t even get me started on those stupid “untucked” shirts.

I thought I read something recently that declared pleated pants to be back “in” but I guess that’s not the case, which is fine.

1 Like

They make everyone look like a one term Republican president from behind.

3 Likes

I was thinking the same thing about women’s clothes until they started selling pants that climb up to your diaphragm as the only option. Tons more material goes into these horrible pants than goes into more reasonable rise pants. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

The Acme Book Shop Proprietress made a pointed reference to the fit of clothing regarding the Man Who May Have A Glass Left Eye, and glanced at Marllowe’s slouch, causing him to straighten up, then things happened…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqoxk3SrZRw

3 Likes

The only downside is the amount of work to get the Hakama, Juban, Uwagi and Obi all just right. The upside is that the Hakama and Obi have a slimming effect on the stomach. :grin:

1 Like

Damn it! You’re right! I don’t want to agree, but I have to agree.

1 Like

Ditch the pants, a djellaba is the thing for around the house! Not even kidding, I just love them!

3 Likes

…and then all the folding to put your Kimono and Hakama away.

Folds are nice until you have to preserve them :wink: I would have been late for everything in pre Meiji Japan.

1 Like

LOL, I had to look up the word “djellaba” and when I did I realized that’s basically what I’m wearing right now. It’s not as pretty as some of the ones on that image search, but dang comfy!

3 Likes

re: nerd associations
“Steve Urkel, George McFly, or even Chandler Bing”

I thought Ross was the nerd?

I think a single pleat looks ok, but double are much more common and a little frilly-looking for menswear imo. back when everyone wore a jacket that hung over the pleats, they made the visible pants hang and drape into a nice overall silhouette. but as they say, the thick, quality fabric and that more of it was folded into the pleat made the pants look better by themselves. the balloon thing in the 80s-to-now is a byproduct of cheap, fast-fashion that uses shit-quality fabric and less of it folded into the pleat to cut costs. balloon city.

3 Likes

Ratman, hanging at home…

Dance Dancing GIF by LLIMOO

7 Likes

OH NO!?

(expecting an "Oh yeah!!)

Still no love for kilts?

1 Like