What happened when Colorado offered free birth control? Teen birthrate and abortions plummeted

Maybe we can commercialize that as some kind of non-abortifaceint birth control?

4 Likes

To which Archer replied after a horrified pause, and quite rightly, “Jesus CHRIST.”

2 Likes

I think you mean “a bunch of Colorado teens were able to have dirty, sinful sex without being punished for it.”

16 Likes

A start would be if we could get them to stop dictating educational policy. Admittedly I haven’t checked lately, but I wouldn’t be surprised if “abstinence only” is still the only approved message for school curricula even in Colorado.

2 Likes

Yea, but I bet suffering went down too. And we can’t have that.

5 Likes

They were probably too stoned to even enjoy it.

2 Likes

This was actually the explicitly stated reasoning behind many attempts to stop sex education during the 1970s and 80s. It was thought that if kids were warned about pregnancy and STDs beforehand then they’d see fewer extreme examples to scare them out of having premarital sex. Sort of a vicarious “burned hand teaches best” approach that placed morality enforcement ahead of lives or health.

6 Likes

I’m familiar with that notion; what I don’t understand is how they avoid the implications weighing on them.

If you take the notion that life begins at conception seriously; every fertilization that doesn’t proceed to pregnancy is another teeny coffin on the pile; and those are quite common. I’d think that it would…weigh on you…a bit to know that not getting pregnant quite probably implies that you flushed a dead baby somewhere along the line.

As best I can tell, though, professed belief in personhood at conception does not increase the affective impact of early term losses to even the same order of magnitude, much less the same level, as that of miscarriage or stillbirth; despite both theoretically being prenatal deaths of moral persons.

If you aren’t worried about anything without a nervous system, markedly different reactions make much more sense; because the two situations are radically different. I imagine that they use a variant of whatever we use to ignore the continual population-level death all around us all the time; but it’s hard to imagine.

3 Likes

This ^^^

There is a deep undercurrent of punitive Puritanism in the thought process of much of the self-described “moral majority.”

It’s as if, in their innermost thoughts, hidden even from Him, they believe God made a mistake when he created orgasm. If only He had made the act of sex to be onerous, unpleasant, and boring, we wouldn’t have all of these sinful kids polluting their temples with wanton abandon.

11 Likes

At least there’s still herpes.

6 Likes

And this is exactly why a careful epidemiological study and compelling long-term evidence of what is essentially a medical victory doesn’t matter a hoot. We’re just applying our reality-based thinking, but really it’s not about evidence and there’s nothing we’ll ever do to convince the godly otherwise. Empiricism and religion have never been comfortable bedfellows.

3 Likes

If Conservative men could get pregnant, we’d have Abortion Clinics on every street corner in the USA, with drive throughs.

I said it before, and I’m saying it again.

16 Likes

But we still have drownings. If humans would only avoid ever going near water we could end all drownings. Avoidance of water is the only 100% sure way to avoid drowning. Swimming lessons only give you a false sense of security and for that reason we should make them illegal, or at least hard to obtain.
Please tell me I did not have to mention that I am being sarcastic in this response.

8 Likes

Oh yeah, you’ve got a right to swim. But we’re not sure if you’ve thought this out, so before you’re legally allowed to swim, you must remain underwater for 48 hours. Then we’ll show you a picture of a dried up jellyfish on the shore and maybe you’ll reconsider your choice.

4 Likes

Yeah the first sentence tipped me off.

won’t someone think of the children!?!?

Oh wait, they are.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Reminds me of the Ban Floaties poster:

via

30 Likes

Is the American College of Obstretricians and Gynecologists reputable enough?

“Another form of contraception approved by the FDA – the copper Intrauterine Device CuT380A (Cu-IUD) – is effective as an EC when inserted up to five days following intercourse. Copper ions released from the IUD create an environment that is toxic to sperm, preventing fertilization. Copper can also alter the endometrial lining, but studies show that this
alteration can prevent implantation, but not disrupt implantation. Because Cu-IUDs prevent rather than disrupt pregnancy, they too are properly classified as contraceptives, not abortifacients.”

Note: EC=Emergency Contraceptive

3 Likes

Yep, in their judgmental and controlling view of the world, unplanned pregnancy is the punishment. Because marriage and patriarchy and control and church income and obedient voting block.

5 Likes