What happened when Colorado offered free birth control? Teen birthrate and abortions plummeted

Without advertising, and for those in the know (which is, virtually everybody), like the old Prohibition speakeasies were - the semblance of propriety has to be maintained. Quite some of those who were publicly pro-prohibitionists were secret drunkards; alcohol was flowing freely in the Congress itself.

3 Likes

Itā€™s gotta suck being a Evangelical Conservative.

1 Like

Encouragement is not required. Availability and discretion is all it took in Colorado.

2 Likes

It always annoys me that the same people who are against abortion are the same people against access to contraceptives and comprehensive sex education. Both would lead to less abortions/less unplanned pregnancies (Which would cost less, be better for society). That the unplanned pregnancy rate in the United States in 2015 is 51 percent is a travesty, yet here we are.

Religion is a blight on this countryā€™s ability to move forward.

Edit: I was off a little, the unplanned pregnancy rate is 51 percent.

4 Likes

Yep.
Back when abortion was illegal, those with the means would just ship their daughters to wherever it was needed.

5 Likes

But they can. And they will also say that itā€™s irresponsible for poor people to have children, that itā€™s irresponsible for anyone to have disabled children, that prematurely born and/or disabled children should be killed to save healthcare costs, and that theyā€™re pro-life.

3 Likes

Really, this whole thing that sex should be for procreation and the feeling good part is the reward for being married while gambling with getting pregnant (but the husband determines when sex will be had) is such bullshit; this needs to be brought out into the open and debated so everyone can see how stupid it is.

Then again, you have belief and obedience so therefore there is no thinking involved, thus no problem.

2 Likes

Drive carefully. A lot of people in this world are caused by accidents.

If I had a nickel for every time Iā€™ve heard someone who thinks that way say ā€œPeople are only poor because they choose to beā€ Iā€™d be a very wealthy man.

Sadly it still wouldnā€™t be enough to lobby to counteract their influence.

4 Likes

Ahhā€¦ Iā€™m a dad. A few weeks ago I found a condom in my daughters bagā€¦ Yeah I know, I shouldnā€™t have looked in her bag but, my initial reaction was ā€œOh God my daughter is having sex, and I know who with and Iā€™ve made that guy dinner more than once.ā€ but after that wore off, I was very relieved that she was thinking and preparing and protecting herself.

People have sex. Itā€™s not a logical thing. Itā€™s emotions and biology and chemicals. So just do what you can to make the best of it.

Is that a glib enough comment?

12 Likes

Donā€™t even joke
Iā€™ve had THC-precipitated erectile dysfunction before, and thatā€™s pretty much the most frustrating thing a 20-something year old guy can experience, seeing as Iā€™ve never once before had trouble getting it to stand at attention.

That does not say that copper IUDs prevent ovulation. The only thing we know of that prevents ovulation itself is estrogen and progestogen (like in the Pill). There do exist hormonal IUDs that release small amounts of progestogen and prevent ovulation in some women (but not all), but not your standard copper ones.

That said, a hormonal IUD like Mirena works for 5 years.

Welcome to the future, Ms. Sanger. How has the birth control issue changed since 1916 you ask?
Hmmm ā€¦ Well ā€¦

2 Likes

The so-called pro-lifers will never be in favor of this. They believe that sex outside of marriage is a sin, and pregnancy is godā€™s punishment. The rest is just smoke and mirrors to justify their sick viewpoint, without having to actually state it aloud.

3 Likes

Free birth control?

7 Likes

And the services would be free.

1 Like

This seems great, but Iā€™m having trouble reconciling the fact that STD rates among teens and young adults also mostly dropped (Syphilis doubled, but still tiny numbers) in the same time period - http://www.cdc.gov/STD/stats/by-age/15-24-all-STDs/default.htm

Since long term contraception does nothing to prevent the spread of STDs, thereā€™s probably something else going on here.

I have a guess about that. In order to get the birth control, the folks involved had to interact with a healthcare provider. If that provider treats them with respect, they have an opportunity to really educate the young person, about birth control, but also STIs. That kind of education is incredibly valuable, far more so that whatever the PE teacher talks about in health class. This is even more true if those young people have previously experienced bullshit sex ed, someone treating them like a responsible person and telling the truth does a lot more good than OMG, oh noes !!!1! Sex -> Death.

When my first gyno told me I was too young for sex, and they would not be prescribing birth control pills, I could have given up. Instead, I found a new doctor who treated me like a person. Who knows what might have happened if I didnā€™t have a firm grasp on reality, or if I had believed the anti-choice brigade.

12 Likes

@cleveremi is almost certainly more correct than my idea, but Iā€™ll spitball anyway.

The implant is progesterone (like the depo shot) and in a lot of cases can make womenā€™s libido crash. Not everyoneā€™s of course, and sometimes the only relevant side-effect it causes is uterine cramping that lasts a long time,which can be pretty mood killing.

But yeah, probably the side effects causing less sexytimes arenā€™t as important as the fact that this free birth control also comes with free counseling.

Your idea may play into it also. My experience of the depo shot was not something Iā€™d want to repeat. It was three months of being uncomfortable (to say the least, and to be vague about it) with no libido.

1 Like

I could easily be wrong though. I donā€™t know anybody with the implant, but the release mechanism is different. The Depo shot, as alluded to in the name, is a depot shot where they just inject 3 months worth of normal liquid drug in a bolus in the muscle. The only thing metering the dose is the bodyā€™s response to it, and the rate of metabolism. They have to inject a lot more than would be necessary if they just did a shot once a week, since a lot is degraded just out of normal bodily function.

The implant on the other hand can be made out of biocompatible materials, have lots of mechanisms to make the drug dissolve slowly, and can use less drug overall. So there could be fewer side-effects.