What happens if you smoke on a plane? One woman decided to find out on Spirit Airlines

I ask myself that every time I’m out in public and I inevitably see someone dick-nosing it; like, why even bother, ya dumbass?

True, but if she was any other complexion, 5 will get you 10 she’d have been arrested as well.

13 Likes

I wonder if the reason it was hard to tell whether anyone was actively smoking was because the whole plane already smelled like smoke and you were accustomed to it, so one person lighting up didn’t introduce a NEW smell, it just produced a localized intensification of the smell.

13 Likes

I was on a Southwest flight to Baltimore last week, sitting in row 3. My four-year old needed to pee, but someone else got there first. She took a looooong time and I was afraid we’d be changing his shorts in the lavatory instead.
When she finally came out, I opened the door and gagged on cigarette smoke. I told the flight attendant (FA) seated next to us. He shrugged. He had been sitting by the door the whole time.

As we were sitting down again, I saw two FAs moving with purpose toward the back of the plane, stopping at the smoker’s seat. The other was spraying something like Lysol into the lavatory.
After about 10 seconds the smoker stood up, looking extremely agitated and scared. She then sat down. The FAs returned to the front and I heard bits & pieces of them discussing who would deal with the smoker upon landing.
After the FA’s initial shrug, I was surprised to see this, but was impressed by how discreetly they handled it.
We didn’t wait around to see if she were detained. Maybe there were consequences.

15 Likes

If she were really being punished, she’d be forced to fly on nothing but Spirit Airlines for the rest of her life.

But that would probably be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

15 Likes

All commercial planes still have to have an ashtray in the bathroom last I heard. It’s because so many people try and smoke and the risk of a fire without a place to stub your butt is just too great.

3 Likes

patrick smith, an airplane pilot and columnist disputes this.

7 Likes

Truer words have never been spoken.

9 Likes

The Foolproof Method for Deplaning First “They” Don’t Want You to Know About!

9 Likes

The words “…fuck around and…” are very noticably missing from this headline.

5 Likes

Stuck in traffic riding a motorcycle, yep it sure is awesome to be next to a cigarette smoker!

Sick Cough GIF by Debby Ryan

3 Likes

Sorta like a bonus, if yous axe me…

3 Likes

Looks like the passenger lit up while the plane was taxiing to the gate. I think the air isn’t refreshed – or refreshed as effectively – as it is when the plane is in flight. That might account for the foul air. Back in the day, you couldn’t smoke until the plane was at altitude. Also, the public in general had more of a tolerance for cigarette smoke than they do now. As a kid, I was around smokers, and it didn’t bother me. Now, smelling 2nd hand cig smoke will leave a smokey pall in the back of my throat for days.

BTW, airplane air is essentially replaced every two minutes while in flight. That’s why we’re not seeing COVID outbreaks originating from plane flights. This, according to my flight attendant son. He learned about the replacement of air on planes long before COVID was a glint in some wet market bat’s eye.

2 Likes

I remember when pubs were full of cigarette smoke, and when people were allowed to smoke on one side of the cinema aisle; yuck. It was probably okay for smokers, because they can’t smell anything; but, as a non-smoker, I used to hate getting home, smelling like the bottom of an ashtray. The 1970s and 80s were shit in so many ways; though the music was pretty good.

Edited for “'t” and, thus, clarity.

8 Likes

I learned a new phrase today. BoingBoing is so educationamal!

7 Likes

Row 3 on Southwest. That 4 year old was your ticket to boarding group A, am I right? I’ve never been closer than boarding group B, number 30, no matter how far in advance I check in online! My wife and I theorize that people pay to get into group A. That, and 4 year olds!

Getting back to the topic, the cop removed his mask and told the lady (who was presumably filming) they can handle the sitiuation without the help of her narrative skills. I thought she was hella funny and hoped she would play Ballgame Announcer some more! Cop shoulda just ignored her, but professionalism in law enforcement is hard to find these days, I reckon.

1 Like

I have to say, removing the mask in order to spray droplets all over everyone was a nice touch.

3 Likes

Is it my eyesight, or does she have a Trump hand?

1 Like

My question is this:

How the fuck did she light the cigarette?

I don’t smoke, but do often have some method of creating flame in the backpack that I also use to take on planes, and have to remember to take out any lighters, small “survival” cannisters with waterproof matches etc… I was under the impression from all of the TSA and airplane signage that that stuff was not allowed on planes.

1 Like

No no no, that’s not what’s happening!

Adventure Time Lol GIF

2 Likes

Boarding with kiddos only moves you up to “after A and before B.”
An injured family member’s wheelchair got us ahead of the A group.
My son and I were in group C, even with the so-called Early Bird --which I learned prioritizes by cost of ticket–and a booking done in March.
I used points(free) with Early Bird and he was C28, I was C7. We’d have been f’ed without the wheelchair.