What happens when you dip a light bulb in hydrofluoric acid?

I suspect the best response to that drum would have been a larger containment vessel to let it finish its reaction, even if it melted the drum, to capture any spill and a wet exhaust scrubber system to capture any fumes.

The nitro scenario happened because nobody watched Ghostbusters, they mixed the streams (waste streams that contained nitric acid, glycerine, and some other fun ingredients). I wasn’t certain what they made until I went over what was mixed with Chemtrec’s emergency hotline. Then factory management asked me to move it and leave it for an outside contractor to handle. That’s the downside of being a HazMat grunt. Worker bees don’t have a lot of authority.

I forgot to mention other geniuses who put an HF acid waste stream into a glass container. Nice mess when it ate the glass.

4 Likes

Yes, but given IV, applied as topical gel and/or irrigated onto the burn and (the nasty bit) injected liberally directly into the affected tissue …

1 Like

But it is on the very real and scary side of the line of “things I am likely to run into only somewhat well labeled in an old lab when I pack it out”

That and finding a dead body are still missing on the property cleanup bingo game of my career.

Haven’t yet, but it’s plausible, unlike those other two, which would likely detonate if left alone for too long.

1 Like

Sure, but you didn’t see someone put a 20 year career on the line. I did.

A lot of fun can happen with waste streams.

You may like this book. I have it in a scavenged PDF form as a bedtime reading.
http://www.amazon.com/What-Wrong-Fifth-Edition-Butterworth-Heinemann/dp/1856175316?ie=UTF8&tag=daftano-20&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=1856175316

Try to overcharge a lead-acid battery, and then let the hydrogen ignite. Preferably in confined space of the battery room. :stuck_out_tongue:

Definitely is not. But he survived. With an awful amount of luck.

People can survive a lot of what would look a sure way to the Eternal Lab In the Sky. Plutonium is another material that has a way worse rap than it is, judging from the number of “UPPU club” survivors from the Cold War.

That is true.

You can get a similar (qualitatively, though way way less bad) outcome from a bad slip on the stairs. It took me weeks to months (depending where we put a threshold) to regain shoulder functionality after an injury and that was just a stupid landing. (And it still behaves like a built-in barometer.) Do not run when you don’t have to.

So we get a pretty interesting mix of cases where stupid simple mishap can lead to death, on one end, and on the other end survival cases of bizarre and highly dangerous situations.

Weird world we live in. Interesting one, too.

Doesn’t look that bad to me, though definitely nothing pleasant. The note about calcium chloride being an irritant was good, and explained to me why all the gluconate in all the instructions, thanks. (Now, where to get some to have in the self-aid kit…)

1 Like

Lowe probably should have a post on Crystal Pepsi.

There was an episode of 'E.R." where a night watchman got himself sprayed by hydrofluoric acid. When the physician discovered this, he stopped working and told the watchman that he was going to die and that he had better manage his affairs as best he could in the next few hours.

1 Like

Perhaps he had a light bulb up his ass?

1 Like

They made the most Boringzesium Snoozainide I’ve ever seen in one place!
Seriously, the pitch drop experiment live cam is more exciting…

2 Likes

Mike: “I’ve never used this stuff. Are you sure it will do the job?”

* Jesse looks at Walter *

Jesse: “Trust us.”

3 Likes

I once made Ammonium Chlorate accidentally. I got bored after the initial reaction, and left. But the next day the dry solid out in the yard got run over by the lawnmower. Quite a bang. Luckily only a small amount was made.

2 Likes

One memorable afternoon I was eating lunch by the front window of the Fatburger in Studio City, CA. A woman parked outside the joint had called AAA to jumpstart her car’s dead battery. Tow truck guy showed up and proceeded to hook up the jumper cables in exactly the way you’re not supposed to: directly to the dead battery’s terminal posts, while the donor engine is running. There was a nice spark, the hydrogen leaking from the discharged battery ignited, and the battery blew up right in his goddamned face, just outside my window vantage point. Oh, the screams…

His sunglasses saved his eyes, somehow.

1 Like

The OH- and F- ions are actually similar in their chemistry.

1 Like

Would calcium carbonate make sense for that task? Or would it evolve too much CO2 and heat?

Gypsum, maybe?

And, I’m happy for you that you lived through the accidental nitroglycerin. That’s a problem with nitric acid, most anything it comes in contact with turns into nitro-something and an explosive.

Nitro Something-or-other:

(actually some kind of monstrous Azide. Link says Azidoazide)

2 Likes

Heh, heh.

“… Someone should call them on this - ask for the free shipping, and if
they object, tell them Amazon offers it on this item. Serves 'em right.
Morons.”

1 Like

Was thinking nitro-chickenwire, but that molecule ought to be stable, up to a few millikelvins, perhaps…

3 Likes

i vaguely remember my father (a chemical engineer) talking about HF as a possible CIA assassination device. there were studies of how to add it to a cigarette, and slowly the victim would heart attack, long after the agent had left.

sadly? pop is gone, and I cannot ask him what that was all about.

/thread

TrollsOpinion is triggering me.