What happens when you let computers optimize floorplans

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/30/what-happens-when-you-let-comp.html

8 Likes

I wonder how long I can get away with running this as a bolt on to Dwarf Fortress before the High Performance Computing team hunt me down?

21 Likes

Except as showpieces, curvilinear architecture (geodesic domes are another example) always seems to fail for two main reasons.

It leaks.

People’s furniture doesn’t fit. And it’s hard to design furniture that fits those curved interior spaces efficiently.

27 Likes

I suspect cost was not one of the design criteria.

15 Likes

Yes, it’s easy to design a more efficient use of space if you ignore the actual use of the space.

48 Likes

As long as you’ve got an abstract for a research paper based on the results, you should be fine. Just make sure you’re running as many instances as you can at once.

8 Likes

Based on the headline, looks like they optimize the ‘l’ out of floorplans. (Apologize for combination nitpick and bad pun.)

10 Likes

In particular, gymnasiums are optimized for fit of regulation basketball courts. This layout is extremely inefficient.

8 Likes

Or having windows…

18 Likes

Oh, they’re positively bullish about setting big array jobs going. 10000 subjobs?

1 Like

Those hallways get pretty claustrophobic near the ends!

7 Likes

these would make neat d&d maps

15 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with the computers. It’s the programmers who didn’t account for all of the parameters, like minimum safe hallway widths, and building layout considerations.

29 Likes

I’d love to see the floor plans this generated with a few more constraints applied.
-require all the non-utility rooms to have at least one exterior wall (for fire egress)
-limit the shapes of non-utility rooms (not necessarily to rectangles only, but what would it produce if rooms could not have more than, say, five walls)
-define minimum sizes for certain rooms (so that the gym could actually hold a basketball court, for instance.

the layouts would probably still be wildly impractical, possibly unbuildable, but I expect they’d still be neat as an exercise.

25 Likes

Good god. The ductwork for this place would look like something out of Brazil.

25 Likes

I kind of want this thing built and used, just to see if it works and humans feel comfortable in non-box structures. Like, would our inner hive-minds awaken and we’d all be harmonious in such structures, or would it be like going to school in a Twilight Zone episode, just a vague sense of unease permeating you as you trod the (short and efficient) hallways.

7 Likes

Passing periods will be like…

YkaF5cQ

5 Likes

I was thinking that would NOT be optimized for fire escape paths. In a fire escape scenario, you would want the hallways to get wider closer to the exits, not narrower.

5 Likes

Seems pretty meaningless without requiring windows for each room in the algorithm-that seems evident in the original plan. I wonder how different from the original the floor plan would actually look if they made that simple change.

7 Likes

Given its disregard of the needs of actual humans in a built environment, they should call the algorithm that produced this “Corb”

6 Likes